Author Topic: Fowler Barrel Recommendation  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Fowler Barrel Recommendation
« on: December 18, 2022, 08:18:33 PM »
I am desiring to have a 28 gauge (smoothbore .54) fowler built for use with shot on squirrel, rabbit, and perhaps even deers when loaded with roundball.

Do any barrel makers make a proper, lightweight, round or square/round fowler barrel in this small gauge? I do NOT want a heavy octagonal smooth rifle barrel or anything like that. I also would not prefer something built off a .58 or .62 barrel blank as that would make for a thick heavy barrel.

My goal is to have as light and handy a barrel as possible for a field gun. I am thinking 42” or 44” in length would be ideal, with a simple front sight.

Any recommendations on where to find such a barrel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 08:25:25 PM by Panzerschwein »

Offline martin9

Re: Fowler Barrel Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 08:25:17 PM »
Rice makes B weight oct/rnd PA fowler barrels that'd make a nice light gun. They can be had in either 42" or 46" lengths. They offer jug choking now as well.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 10:32:36 PM »
  Might want to contact Ken Netting for your barrel. He will pretty much make you whatever you want.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 11:18:41 PM »
I am desiring to have a 28 gauge (smoothbore .54) fowler built for use with shot on squirrel, rabbit, and perhaps even deers when loaded with roundball.

Do any barrel makers make a proper, lightweight, round or square/round fowler barrel in this small gauge? I do NOT want a heavy octagonal smooth rifle barrel or anything like that. I also would not prefer something built off a .58 or .62 barrel blank as that would make for a thick heavy barrel.

My goal is to have as light and handy a barrel as possible for a field gun. I am thinking 42” or 44” in length would be ideal, with a simple front sight.

Any recommendations on where to find such a barrel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No square/round, but octagon/round in 20 bore. Don't know about the same in 28 bore, but quite likely. Have you not looked/checked online at the various barrel maker's offerings?
Rice, Green Mountain, Bobby Hoyt, Ed Rayle, Badger, H&H, Colraine via trackofthewolfl.com?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 12:44:52 AM »
I suggest synthesizing what you read here about barrel makers then go to their websites. Also check with major suppliers. Track of the Wolf, Log Cabin shop, Muzzleloading Builders Supply, and so on. Coming here with questions of this sort with no effort of one’s own is a little like asking your neighbor to wash your car. It’s clearly something most people can do. Buy 10 books. Peruse 3 or 4 catalogues. Almost all questions can be answered by a simple search here as well. Get a good baseline of knowledge. One cannot learn algebra by asking questions online as far as I know. But people have picked up an algebra book and learned the basics.

This response is not to squelch questions in general; just ones that suggest that no effort has been expended by the one posing the questions. If someone asks after looking around or hearing about various approaches or options, everyone wants to share their ideas.
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 12:50:16 AM »
Well stated Rich. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 01:57:44 AM »
FWIW, I use Bobby Hoyt.  Always excellent.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »
Panzer,
When I looked for light barrels, the lightest of the regular gauges was the Griffin by Colerain, in 16 gauge.
This is lighter  than the 20 or 12 bore barrels.  I know not the size you are looking for, but awfully light and handy and 42"

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 07:57:13 AM »
My 28 bore barrel was supplied by Chambers for their Pennsylvania fowling gun
I believe Long Hammock made that barrel [ Riley Smith], and it was sized for the bore. Unfortunately, I don't think he's still in business .  I think that Charles Burton would make an appropriately sized barrel. I have one of his 20 bore barrels and am very impressed with his workmanship.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 07:55:22 PM »
Google is your friend, most all the major barrel makers have their wares posted on their website. Most have the specs of their barrels posted. Many of them will make a barrel to your spec's I know that Ed Rayl, Charles Burton,  and Bobby Hoyt will make pretty much anything you ask for as long as its safe. I am not sure but Rice may aso makexa custome barrel for you.

Its just amazing what you can find on most any subject you can think of.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 05:54:55 PM »
I called all over for a 28ga. in late September and found a Colerain oct/rnd x 44' at Pecatonica River, (815-968-1995). They had several at the time. It is a very nice smoothbore!
Others could make them or had them on backorder, but wait time was universally one year!
Tom C.