Author Topic: Engravers transfer wax question  (Read 887 times)

Offline P.Bigham

Engravers transfer wax question
« on: December 23, 2022, 11:20:19 PM »
I normally draw out my designs but decided to try using transfer wax for some projects. I bought Sam Alfanos wax from Rio Grande.  I've tried positive image and negative image with no success I can see it on the clear tape but not on the object. What am I doing wrong.  Thanks in advance

" not all who wander are lost"

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Engravers transfer wax question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 12:12:09 AM »
Sam's Transfer Wax does not transfer graphite or print media at all, it is not designed to do that. How Sam's product works is you apply the transfer wax in a thin layer over some existing engraving, then you use a clear thin scotch tape or thin packing tape over the engraving. You then rub the tape lightly with the back of your thumbnail or a burnisher. The tape will pick up the wax everywhere but where the engraving is leaving the engraved pattern in the wax. You then place this clear tape over where you want the design to go, place the waxed tape and gently burnish again. This will transfer the wax pattern to the metal you want to engrave. It is hard to see the pattern but it will be there if you did everything right. This transfer method is delicate but for small simple designs it works OK.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 01:20:50 AM »
An easy way to transfer is to put a little oil based printing ink such as speedball block printing ink on your finger. Dab an even but not too thick coat on top of the engraving you want to transfer.  Now take apiece of clear tape and put it on the inked engraving and rub. Dab it down so it picks up the ink. you are lifting the ink off the surface and not the engraved lines  Now lift the tape off and place it precisely where you want to engrave. Rub it a bit to let the ink stick to the metal and lift the tape off.You now have a exact image of your engraving to cut. The lines will be white against a black background. Now a secret trick is to brush some talcum powder on the image and blow it off. This instantly dries the ink so it does not smudge.
Once you get the hang of how much ink to use it is super easy and accurate

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 01:22:06 AM »
Thanks Bama. It's my engraving not from a print. Followed all directions but still not working. I've read some add inlet black to the wax. Does this help?  Iam missing something somewhere.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 03:14:54 PM »
The type of tape you use can make a difference in the quality of the transfer. I have not tried doing a smoke transfer with the wax. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
I find the clear tape works best. The magic tape doesnt seem to have enough sticky for lack of a better word. Smoke pulls are great for record keeping but does not transfer well. The ink works best
Now I do use smoke pulls for transfers but have to use the computer for that and a special transfer printing film and a liquid formula of lighter fluid and damar varnish