Author Topic: Making a “Scorp”  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Making a “Scorp”
« on: December 28, 2022, 03:31:22 AM »
In The Gunsmith of Grenville County Mr. Alexander briefly describes fashioning both a tool for scraping barrel flats as well as a “scorp” for hogging out a ramrod channel. The latter is the one I’m interested in. Has anyone made such a tool from an old file and if so, did you anneal the working section so as to grind and shape? Did you harden it again after shaping? The details in the book are vague IMO and I get the part where he anneals to get the bend in the file blank but he makes no mention of the treatment of the working end save for detailing the shaping methods via grinding wheel. I’d appreciate some guidance here, thanks!

Offline bluenoser

Re: Making a “Scorp”
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 04:44:31 AM »
The "scorps" Alexander shows on pages 72 and 75 are not scorps.  They are scrapers.  Scorps cuts somewhat like a drawknife and come in single and two handled versions.  This is what a single handled version looks like.
https://www.kmstools.com/pfeil-scorp.html
Although I have not made those particular tools, I have made various other scraping and cutting tools out of old files.  I do not anneal unless I need to make a bend and, at those times, I heat only the area to be bent and do not quench or reharden.  It is important to grind slowly and quench when the part gets too hot to hold with bare hands.  Don't let the thinner edges heat up to blue.
If I were to make those tools, I would start by grinding off the teeth (at least on the working end) and grinding the side and end profiles, as well as reshaping the remainder as needed/wanted.  Now is the best time to hone the leading face of the cutting end to a dead flat and smooth surface.  Smooth is important.  It would likely also be easier to hone the cutting edges before putting in the bend.  To bend, I would put the cutting end in the vise with the bend line at the top of the jaws, heat at the bend with a torch and bend while red.  I don't see a need to quench or anneal.
Others might tackle it differently, but this works for me.
Hope it helps.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
Wingshot,
Jim Turpin explains how to make an octagon “scorp”, a specialized scraper, on his video for Jim Chambers on assembling a Jim Chambers flintlock. I made one of these and it works well. I used an old file and did not bend it but put a wooden handle on the file and it gives you some leverage when you use it on hard maple. Good Luck!
elkhorne

Online T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
For hogging out material, hook or hoof knives are readily available and reasonably priced.  Google both.  The latter is found under farrier's supplies.  I bought one years ago.  Historically they were used to carve canoe paddles, but have many other purposes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 09:29:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies, I have an old file to work with so might give it a go. I like the thinking behind not bending it before sharpening, sensible advice.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 12:01:42 AM »
This is my ramrod groove scraper.  I made it out of an old long shank screwdriver.  I begin with a "V" chisel, and use it in conjunction with a square rasp to make sure my guide groove is straight and center.  Then I work with the scraper in conjunction with 3/8" round rasp.  I stop frequently to make sure my groove is still centered and straight.  Curly maple tends to make she scraper weave and bob sometimes; so I constantly eyeball the groove to see if/what correction is necessary.  Too much force will cause the scraper to wander; so I use a moderate pressure, check my work constantly, and just keep at it.  In addition, I use swamped barrels, so when the groove is getting close, I constantly check the width of the web between the bottom of my ramrod groove and the bottom of the barrel inlet at 4 inch intervals.  More information than you asked for, I know.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 12:38:14 AM »
I use a plane to make the ramrod groove.

It bugs me that a writer would call a scraper, a “scorp”.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 01:20:14 AM »
Mgbruch, on the contrary, I’d like to learn more about your method with swamped barrels as it’s what I’m using. I hand inlet the barrel and I’m currently sinking the breeched barrel and tang. This is my first plank build so I’m all ears. It’s an SMR and I’d like to get it as skinny as humanly possible.

Rich, I agree, Scorp is is an irritating word😆

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 02:50:33 AM »
I'd use a plane too, if I had one for that specific task.  It's one of the many tools on my list.

Wingshot, you can PM me with questions, or whatever.  I build SMR's from a blank as well.