Author Topic: Engraving the Frizzen  (Read 964 times)

Offline Bill Raby

Engraving the Frizzen
« on: December 26, 2022, 12:02:19 PM »
   I am engraving a gun right now and it is going pretty good. Until I got to the frizzen. It is nice and hard. I am using a Lindsay Airgraver. The carbalt graver chipped immediately. Sharpen it and it would just chip again right away. The HSS graver did nothing at all. This is the first time I have tried to engrave a frizzen. How do people manage to do it? Does it need to be annealed before engraving then hardened again when it is done? Is there some trick to it that I am missing?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Engraving the Frizzen
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 03:01:31 PM »
Hi Bill,
I anneal them first and then any of the gravers will cut well.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 05:29:17 PM »
Dave is correct. There is no way any graver point is going to cut the hardened frizzen.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »
I always remove the frizzen that I want to engrave and paint it with some anti-scale compound that I get from Brownells.  When the coating is dry, I toss the frizzen in the fire place (if I am having a fire that night)* and just let the frizzen sit in the coals.  The next morning I dig it out of the ashes.  Always engraves beautifully after this type of anneal.  After a quick re-polish, I do the engraving and then re-heat treat the frizzen.  And when I do the heat treat, I do use the anti-scale compound again.

* If it's summer and I don't plan on having a fire in the fire place, I build a small charcoal fire in the BBQ and put the frizzen in there.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 11:44:10 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 12:51:32 AM »
Must anneal.. Carbide might cut it but its REALLY hard Carbide is really brittle. I would just anneal. You can try degreasing and heating it well past blue into pale gray/silver and try that. Propane torch will work.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 02:56:04 AM »
   I kind of figured the answer would be annealing. The carbide graver is hard enough to engrave it, but it is so brittle that the tip chips off instantly.