Author Topic: Virginia Screw Tip and Banded Horns  (Read 5604 times)

Jefferson58

Virginia Screw Tip and Banded Horns
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
Hi Folks:

Larry has been doing a great job of detailing our class at Conner Prairie this year making screw tip horns with Art DeCamp. It was a great class and we all had a lot of fun. I finally finished dying and detailing my screw tip horn from the class. There have been too many projects recently that have put a crimp on my time.

The screw tip is a copy of an original, SW Virginia horn in Art's collection. I made this one as close as possible to it. It is my first screw tip horn.  It is about 16" around the curve. The base is made from cherry, per the original. The tip has the classic, Virginia "rattle snake" flutes. I have seen another original Virginia horn that has this exact tip configuration.

The second horn is my first banded horn. It is an interpretation of a horn in Tom Grinslade's new book. I took the base design from another Virginia horn in his book as well.  This horn is pretty large as well, measuring 16.5" around the curve. the tip is made from antler, and the base is apple. This horn is the raffle horn for the Spring, 2010 HCH raffle.

Hope you like them. I will be attempting more as soon as I get my low speed lathe setup finished.

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Virginia Screw Tip and Banded Horns
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
 Great looking horns Jeff. Looks like you got it down.

Tim C.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
Jeff I really like that screwtip. It has a very nice color to it keep up the good work.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
Jeff, both horns look great to me.  Especially the color.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:13 PM »
Both are real beauties, thanks for sharing 'em.  Keep up the good work.

george kevil

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:35 PM »
Jeff,
Those are both great  horns. I'm jealous of you guys that got to go to Conner for the horn class.
George

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:13:49 AM »
 Dang! The more I look at them the better they get! Nice work all around.

Tim C.

seesbirds

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:56:56 AM »
Jeff,

I love that screw tip..  Beautiful work on the tip itself.  I can't wait to see the banded horn in March at the HCH meeting.  Whoever wins it is going to have a treasure! (I hope it's me.)

Mark

P.S. for any/all of you guys who aren't going to be able to get to the annual meeting of the Hounorable company of Horners and are interested in entering the raffle for Jeff's banded horn and a set which includes a bag, knife, powder measure, whisk and pick you can go to the website www.hornguild.org and print off raffle tickets and send them in for your chance to win this beauty.  Good Luck, and thanks again Jeff!

Jefferson58

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I do appreciate it. Southern banded horns and VA screw tips are two styles that I have really been wanting to get started making.

The coloring on both horns is a mix of their natural colors and RIT Dyes. The screw tip is very opaque and has several different colors naturally. The banded horn is mostly brown. I used the Rit dye method on these because it is much easier for me to control than the Aqua Fortis method. I lightly antiqued both; somewhat of a departure for me.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »
Jeff and I were working at the same bench.  That gave a chance to see these horns and their parts being worked on.  I like them both, but the first horn with the rattlesnake tip is especially cool.   It looked good going together , but the dye and antiquing really adds as well. 

Jeff, Well done! Good luck with your slow speed lathe.  I finally got mine set up.  I'm running about 130 rpm, but it seems to be slower than Art's.  Art's may be faster than we expect.  I havent tied to spin a horn yet.  I'm out of horns unless I take apart an old horn that I won't show anybody. :)

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
Jeff - that single band horn is really fine - one of my favorite banded horns I've seen.

A good example of how "less can be more" - beautiful design, shaping and workmanship.  I really like that piece.

Guy

hammerhead

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »
really like the banded style horns