Author Topic: Pistols!  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Robert Hill

Pistols!
« on: December 26, 2022, 05:28:01 AM »
This is a pistol I built stocked in mahogany with a .45 caliber rifled Ed Rayl barrel and German silver hardware. The second pistol is stocked in curly hickory sporting a .66 caliber smoothbore barrel by Ed Rayl, hand forged wrought iron hardware, and handmade brass thimbles. This was my first experience hand inletting the barrel. 
-Robert Hill

Offline David G

Re: Pistols!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 05:51:05 AM »
Authentic looking pistols...you done good Mr Hill ! Also, interesting choice of wood.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 01:18:19 PM »
Nice work. I like them both ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 02:31:08 PM »
Awesome pistol for sure
Hawkeye

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 03:31:29 PM »
A lot to like !

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 10:17:09 PM »
Great looking pistol. I was recently gifted a couple of Mahogany boards that I think i can get some pistol stocks out of them. This makes me want to go cut them out.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 10:30:24 PM »
Very nice. Look like they would be very comfortable to shoot.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 04:39:12 AM »
They both look great and I really like the Curly Hickory one. The molding above the ramrod looks super. Congratulations!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 05:43:41 AM »
With such wide grooves and nice smooth crown, that .45 should be VERY easy loading. Bravo!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 06:56:01 AM »
Thank y’all, I’m glad you enjoyed seeing them. I’ve got an interesting octagon to round rifle I’m currently working on between filling my last two knife orders.
-Robert Hill

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »
very nice indeed

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 09:48:34 PM »
I like the sleek lines on the new pistol. As usual, your forged hardware really makes the look. Very fine pistol.  I’ll bet you won’t have it long once folks see it.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 04:57:51 AM »
Very nice work !    Looking forward to seeing more of your work !
Mike Mullins

Offline Ezra

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 10:32:43 PM »
1. Hickory stock
2. .66 caliber
3. Flintlock pistol

It checks all my boxes.  I love that pistol.  Well done.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 04:47:18 PM »
The Mohogany pistol appears to have a 12-inch-long barrel. Being a Rayl barrel it will be a shooter. Looks nice overall.
I am wondering about what type of mahogany it is, as it seems to have lots of open pores. Those are accentuated by the dark staining.
I have made one pistol out of Sapele which is similar to and is often sold as mahogany. It does not have the same pore structure as what you used.
I commend you on making a pistol out of Hickory. It is not easy to work, is hard to inlet and it is hard on tools. You did a good job.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Jäger Fox

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 11:03:45 PM »
I recently cut my single shot break action shotgun down to 18.5" to be used as a survival shotgun that can fit in my pack. I have 6" of barrel scrap, the bore is 62 cal. the thickest part of the barrel wall is 1/8" and the muzzle is 3/32". Can this be turned into any kind of black powder pistol? The breech plug would have to be 11/16-20, and the walls at the breech would be 1/32" thinner than thompson center rifle breeches, is this doable under any circumstances even with lower powder charges? I reason for doing this is to save ~$150 for a barrel and make everything else from scratch minus the breech plug
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 01:08:58 AM by Jäger Fox »

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 11:33:10 PM »
time to go shooting

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 05:59:53 AM »
It is indeed time to go shooting, I’m not sure about making that shot gun barrel into a pistol barrel, and yes it’s a 12” barrel I bought a pair from Mr. Rayl at the Knoxville show last year. And thank y’all I’ve decided I’ll start to post some more stuff on the forum.
-Robert Hill

Jäger Fox

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 08:49:48 AM »
It's just a project to see if it's possible. It'd be a cheaper way to get into it. Buying dedicated barrels for black powder is more expensive than it has to be. If you can buy (or reuse) an old (damaged or broken) shotgun barrel and turn it into a black powder pistol or rifle, that makes more budget for caps, lead, powder, etc. Also saves on the powder by loading less into each shot. So even if I can only use 1F powder that's fine. Black powder shotguns only produce 3000psi at the chamber with standard loads. So using 1F with a 62 caliber ball seems like it'd be fine. That is a very nice looking pistol for sure btw.

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 06:03:58 PM »
Lovely job Robert. The Hickory stock is delightful to my eye.
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.