Author Topic: Chisels For Kit Building  (Read 4340 times)

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Starting Member
Re: Chisels For Kit Building
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »
My experience is more woodworking than gun building so I might approach things differently than some.  I really like the ashley Iles range of tools. I only have a couple of their chisels and several carving tools. Tools for working wood carries them. They are similar priced to other premium brands. Honestly the USA buck bros chisels that home depot use to carry take a pretty good edge. Not as refined as premium brands but I've used them a lot in woodworking. Sharpening is more important than the brand of chisels. I use diamond plates and follow Paul Sellers teaching for the most part. Mary May is a very accomplished wood carver (not guns mind you but she is very talented) and she has some videos on sharpening as well. Another tool that I could recommend would be an Auriou rasp. These are very expensive but really nice tools.

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2023, 01:25:07 AM »
I've had great luck buying good quality used English tools - mainly Addis and Buck Bros - on Ebay, but you've got to know what to look for and invest some effort. I used to buy a lot of tools from the UK before Brexit, but as shipping costs went from $14 to $32, I focus now on US-located tools. Most of the tools in this picture cost me $20 or less (less shipping), particularly the chisels. BTW, one unanticipated benefit from the different handles is that over time you'll be able to easily remember what tool is attached to what handle so it's easy to grab the right tool. Good luck! Alex

Offline SBachner

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2023, 03:25:37 AM »

Offline rick landes

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 05:15:56 PM »
I built my first rifle with a 1/2 Stanley. If you can learn how to put an edge on whatever file you have it will help your game much...
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Terry Cheek

• Proverbs 27:17
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 06:05:28 PM »
I built my first rifle with a 1/2 Stanley. If you can learn how to put an edge on whatever file you have it will help your game much...

Impressive!
Respectfully
Terry

Christian/Hunter/Trapper/Gatherer/Bushcrafter

Offline PHolder

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »
I hope this is appropriate but I thought I would share some info regarding Pfeil tools.  Woodcraft is  the exclusive dealer in the US which drives up the cost.  Nothing against Woodcraft at all.  Walking into one of their stores is like walking into Toys 'R Us.

I am a wood carver as a hobby and Pfeil tools are highly thought of. We usually order from a dealer in Canada - WOODWORKER SPECIALTIES in British Columbia.  Good exchange rates and free shipping on orders over $100.  You can save roughly $8-$10 a tool.  I've used them and get good service and save a few $.

I'm not affiliated with these folks just thought I'd share a way to save some $ on good tools.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:07:35 PM by PHolder »

Offline Terry Cheek

• Proverbs 27:17
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 04:37:45 PM »
Thank you for the supplier recommendation.
Respectfully
Terry

Christian/Hunter/Trapper/Gatherer/Bushcrafter

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »
PHolder is spot on. I saved a bundle buying there.
Cheers Richard