Author Topic: Southern Mountain Rifle Questions  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Southern Mountain Rifle Questions
« on: January 23, 2023, 01:28:24 AM »
I have been pondering about having built a small caliber percussion SMR “poor boy” or “barn gun” style rifle for squirrels. Most probably in .36 caliber, but maybe a .40.

I am curious if there are any known original later period Southern rifles that didn’t have buttplates or toe plates? What about those without nosecaps or ramrod entry thimbles? Basically, I am wanting as simple and straightforward/plain a gun as possible that would be a quick and inexpensive build for whoever would accept the commission.

Some decent maple with clean lines, a 38” or so swamped barrel, just a lightweight relatively compact squirrel rifle with maybe a grease hole in the stock, and as little furniture and embellishment as would be period correct.

If anyone can guide me on what might be appropriate but still period accurate, maybe names of old builders/schools etc, that’d be great help. Thanks!

Smokey

Offline Gaeckle

Re: Southern Mountain Rifle Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:24:57 AM »
The answer to your question about original southern style rifles sans butplate or entry thimble is yes. There is an original hanging at the Log Cabin that is exactly that, however, it is well used and pretty rough.

I made one just recently, posted it here, but I can't seem to get the pictures up from my gallery, but it is a basic rifle

Offline parve

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 06:01:31 AM »
I have seen very few southern mountain longrifles stocked in maple with a percussion lock and no buttplate/entry thimble/nose cap. There is one featured in the ALR virtual library though, and I would be interested to see others if forum members have additional examples to share: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3044.0
Most of the southern rifles I've seen with minimal furniture are stocked in walnut and feature flintlocks. There are a number of Gillespie rifles that are great examples of this featured in Mr. Glazener's book, "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork NC". If you are interested in southern mountain longrifles I think it is a good buy. There is also a poor boy featured in Randal Pierce's book, "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains". It is stocked in walnut and features a flintlock, though its maker is unknown.

In my novice opinion, as long as you shape the stock in the style of a typical southern mountain longrifle I don't think anyone would protest regarding your choice of wood or lock. Despite the bare minimum furniture and total lack of embellishment I think these rifles can still be beautiful.
Phil A.

Offline Rado

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:55:28 AM »
 Saw several people yesterday who had trouble uploading pictures. Luckily I do not, so Im just helping out. Cheers.
Gaeckles rifle

direct upload image
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:03:56 AM by Rado »
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 09:34:11 AM »
I would look into a set of Jerry Nobles books. Some have been for sale right here recently. Also, Dennis's Gillespie book or dvd would help you a lot, as would quite a few other books about various southern mountain guns and their makers. There was even a vhs tape "Plain and Fancy" I think it was called. But I'm not sure if that's available on a newer format or not? Maybe someone here knows. A little research is fun and could go a long way towards helping you get an idea of what you might be after.
Tim A

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:37:39 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 02:59:16 PM »
Here is one of my originals. The forearm was spliced in years back, but the buttstock is original. About 36 caliber slightly swamped 43" barrel.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:45:13 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 04:08:56 PM »
Thanks for posting those pictures Rado

Offline Rado

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 05:07:16 PM »
You re welcome, Gaeckle. 8)
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 11:22:06 PM »
Here is my Mathew Gillespie "tribute" rife Don Bruton made for me. Additional photos of it and others like it can be found in the books "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains" by Randal Pierce and "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork NC" by Dennis Glazener. Hope this and the photos are of some help. the rifle Don made for me is in .32 caliber.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 12:24:22 AM »
I always get a little drool coming out of my mouth every time I see that Gillespie/Bruton rifle, Mike.
Don really nailed that one.

Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 01:47:37 AM »
Original relic. Probably NC.  I think this kind of stuff in this time period is/was pretty common. Probably the best bark inclusion ever.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 03:00:48 AM »
Took a minute but I think I see what you see in the “inclusion”😁. Cool relic, hard to believe it’s maintained the full length.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
I agree with Mike on the relic. Its almost a twin to an early Mathew Gillespie that a fellow showed me at a Heritage Day event in Brevard NC several years ago. He had restocked a signed Mathew Gillespie rifle and kept the original stock that was on the rifle. Note the two screw spear shaped tang, my original Mathew Gillespie flint and Earl Lannings unsigned John Gillespie both had tangs made like that.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
I love it every time you post that one Mike!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 08:47:10 PM »
I’ve always kinda assumed most of the poor boy type rifles were more in the caplock era. A product of the hard economic times in the South following the War Between the States.  I built a poor boy caplock style rifle for myself last year. Walnut stock, 36” 13/16” straight 40cal barrel. Lock, stock, barrel, set triggers, trigger guard, and two ramrod pipes. As simple as I could make it. I’ve really been enjoying this rifle.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »
You make a good point Ross. Also, along with no protection on the stock butt and them being “lower tier” tools, the survivability rate of these plain rifles was probably pretty low.

Bob

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 10:25:11 PM »

About as simple as I can make a rifle. Scrapped finish on the stock. It was hard at times to get myself to stop and keep it simple. I call this one Train wreck but it is a fine shooter. Colerain barrel.  Added a simple open top new/old stock ticking shot pouch and a small hunter style horn by Christopher Walker.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 10:33:25 PM »
Nice looking rig, Ross.

Bob

Offline 46powerwagon

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:30 PM »
Here is my Mathew Gillespie "tribute" rife Don Bruton made for me. Additional photos of it and others like it can be found in the books "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains" by Randal Pierce and "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork NC" by Dennis Glazener. Hope this and the photos are of some help. the rifle Don made for me is in .32 caliber.

Mike- Don done a beautiful poor boy SMR for you!  I never get tired of looking at it.  Take Care
!

Steady is Quick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 08:07:20 PM »
Here's some pictures of an original Joeseph Whitson (attributed) I have, that pretty much fits your bill.
It was originally a flint, but has been converted to percussion, evidently by someone with initials WR.
It does have a grease hole, but as you can see, no buttplate, toe plate, entry pipe or muzzle cap.

Jim Kibler fashioned his popular Southern Mountain rifle after a Whitson rifle. You might ask him if he could supply a bare bones model like you're looking for.

John Robbins

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 12:36:48 AM »
Thanks, gang! Love these rifles!