Author Topic: Strap weaving resources/tutorials?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Jakob

Strap weaving resources/tutorials?
« on: January 05, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Been looking at weaving my own straps (bags/horns), but haven't had much luck in finding how-to's.
Inkle Looms looks like the easiest to start with, but was wondering if anyone here had suggestions where to start and where to find more resources. References to historical methods would be nice too.

Offline Kevin

Re: Strap weaving resources/tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:44:39 PM »
Greeting Jakob,

On the events section within Stone House History's website (stonehousehistory.com) there are some postings for "private class". Not sure what private classes they offer but Leigh Ann does awesome work with a tape loom.  Maybe someone to have a conversation with?

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »
 Have you tried "You Tube"? TC

Offline Jakob

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 07:30:47 PM »
Have you tried "You Tube"? TC

Yeah, sure. Inkle looms seems the most practical, Tape looms possibly the more historical correct, but given the often obsessive level of knowledge of every little detail of guns and accoutrement creation here, I was hoping to maybe learn a thing or two from people here.

Offline Monty59

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 08:50:49 PM »
Hello Jakob, I once built a tape loom out of cherry wood to weave different tapes for my self also made a few powder horn straps on the loom.Search the internet, including youtube, and you'll find a lot about it.

Monty

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 10:04:54 PM »
If your hands aren't yet plagued by arthritis, finger weaving was a traditional method of making straps.  There is a small, pamphlet sized book available telling how it's done.  No loom required.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline Jakob

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 10:18:51 PM »
The tape loom is interesting, but I don't currently have the means of easily building one.
I think I'll probably make an inkle loom as that will also allow me to do card weaving and it doesn't take up much space.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 01:34:25 AM »
 Be sure and show us what you come up with.

Tim

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Here’s a sketch I made up for a guy in Hungary (thus the metric dimensions), of my homemade loom.  It’s dirt simple, and can be easily made in an afternoon from scrap you probably have lying around. Any questions, just ask!

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jakob

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 07:18:42 AM »
Perfect thanks!