Author Topic: John Calvin Young - Arkansas Gunbuilder  (Read 792 times)

Offline cornbread

• Starting Member
John Calvin Young - Arkansas Gunbuilder
« on: January 29, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
Hello all,

(This thread might be in the wrong section)
Before a great uncle of mine passed away, I asked if he knew if any rifles made by John Calvin Young of Searcy County, Arkansas were still around. He said he remembered seeing some around but didn’t know who had them.
He did relay that someone told him that one of his half stock rifles was seen at a “pioneer museum” in Texas. But that museum name, location nor year seen was provided.

Last year, I found a museum and inquired if any guns in the vast collection might bear his name or provenance. Although I received a kindly and QUICK reply, it yielded no results.

In summary, I’m wondering if anyone in Texas or anywhere might have more information genealogy can’t provide? My uncle told me this by phone, “Well…he made half stock rifles some with brass trim or anything he got his hands on I reckon that would function for people as a way to get extra money”. That description and the similar one described in a that museum is all I have to go on.

If anyone has any leads not to mention a picture or actual rifle, PLEASE let me know! I’d love to replicate one!

Most humbly yours,
James
Washington state
Email: jandrross2@frontier.com

free pic hosting

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: John Calvin Young - Arkansas Gunbuilder
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:16:23 AM »
 Check with the people at the museum in Newton counties county seat at Jasper. My family settled in Newton County in the 1880’s when the homestead act was giving out sections of what once was Indian territory.
 My step grandad ( Jesse Casey) who was raised just across the border in Missouri was related to some people named Young. I’m also related to the Wilson’s, and the Neal’s from Nail in Newton county.

Hungry Horse

Offline cornbread

• Starting Member
Re: John Calvin Young - Arkansas Gunbuilder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »
I will definitely try them. Thank you for the tip and reply!

James