Author Topic: Some random stuff  (Read 922 times)

Offline JH Ehlers

Some random stuff
« on: April 17, 2023, 08:23:52 PM »
About 6 years ago we packed up our belongings and moved half way around the planet. I found some old stuff that I thought I had lost in the move. These were made in the late 1980's when the internet was non existent and construction methods were a mystery to me. I don't know if people still use sail makers palms for stitching. The larger one was recreated from remnants found on my grandfather's farm, he had lots of mules and made his own harnessing. The smaller one is a more modern version.
The little dagger has a blade that was gifted to me by an old blacksmith friend of the family with parts that I made out of lumps of copper from a shipwreck. It's obvious I knew nothing of knife construction. All tools I had was a flat and a round file and a fret and hack saw. I think I will have to do a propper job on the dagger.

Offline Levy

Re: Some random stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 08:55:30 PM »
A lot of sail maker's palms in iron and brass were found on 1733 shipwrecks here in Florida.  An entire wooden box/chest of different sizes of awls were also recovered with a few packages of needles.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline TDM

Re: Some random stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 03:58:18 AM »
Very neat find, glad you got to see them again.