Author Topic: North Carolina Rifles  (Read 5094 times)

dannybb55

North Carolina Rifles
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
I am starting to assemble the parts for a NC rifle. The hardest part to find is the distinctive trigger guards used on these pieces. Is anyone reproducing any?

Birddog6

Re: North Carolina Rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
If you are wanting a Gillispie style, Dennis Glazener is the guy for that.  In fact, he can most likely tell you exactly who has what for a NC rifle.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:31:28 PM »
Muzzleloader Builders Supply used to sell some Sheets (Virginia) guards that look close to some Vogler (Salem) North Carolina profiles, as well as a Vogler patchbox, if that is the style you are wanting to build.  I do not know their status at the moment though.

On the other hand, if it is a western North Carolina mountain rifle, you are looking for, then Dennis Glazener's Gillespie parts are the way to go.

This post by Michael Briggs a few weeks back is a great overview of the Salem North Carolina school.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7318.0

Depending on what style you are looking for, you can also find something close and reshape it - file, bend, etc. to get close to the style you want.  Some of the common basic Pennsylvania guard styles available from many suppliers can be used as the basis for many other styles of guns with a little modification.  This sort of stuff can be really fun, and you also end up with a guard that is unique and does not look to be the same "off the shelf" castings that come with the kits.  You just need to be careful if you are using a pre-inlet stock to make sure you don't reduce the size of the parts that fit the pre-existing inlet.   On the other hand, many pre-inlet stocks can be ordered without the guard inlet giving you the freedom to do what you want.

Guy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:42:20 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »
Here are the ones I have

I have them in brass and steel with buttplates to match.
See the catalog page at www.gillespierifles.com for prices.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:19:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannybb55

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:12:04 AM »
I built a Robert Hughes tribute rifle ( Bivins LRNC No 25 pp 116-117 ) years ago and the lock, an Italian made Ashmore, is completely wore out. I am going to restock the barrel as a western NC rifle and start getting the parts together for a more eastern school. I am looking for a sandcast guard like the No. 4 Christopher Vogler or the No. 26 Jessie Conaley. With all of the new info on NC rifles I am open to more recently photographed finds.
 Now the Moravian Rifles of Salem and Pennsylvania  are very similar and many of the parts from up North can be used, but the Guard is a bit of a stretch. A really heavy sand casting will work but it has to be long enough for set triggers.
 Thanks for all of the help. Danny Nye

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:44 AM »
I think Jack Garner has the Sheets style guard and butt plate.
Mike Lee

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
11-10-09

Dennis,

The trigger guard that is displayed looks like yellow brass! Please confirm if it is alloy 400 yellow brass or what alloy number they are cast from.

Best Regards,

rtadams
They are investment cast yellow brass. I do not know what the alloy is but I believe you could bend them into a "U" shape and not break it. I have bent them to clear triggers etc with no ill effects. The steel ones can also be bent without breaking them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
These are what I have closest to #26.  All are sandcast except for the top one.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

dannybb55

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:04 AM »
those are some sweet parts. How may I buy one/ some?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:29:16 AM »
those are some sweet parts. How may I buy one/ some?
Are you asking me or Dennis?

You can contact me at oldfoxtraders@aol.com
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Sam Everly

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
Several people want to make NC rifles so i thought i would add these. Dru Hedgecock has a true  Jamestown butt plate and guard in brass. His number is 336-595-4257 in Walkertown, NC.   

dannybb55

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »
THanks for all of the help folks