Author Topic: Scratch made lock, SMR  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Scota4570

Scratch made lock, SMR
« on: February 13, 2023, 10:05:58 PM »
I used a cast hammer, the rest is bar stock and round stock.  It was much more demanding job than I realized.  So now I have a Kibler SMR, 40 cal in flint and another in cap. 

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:36:35 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Carl Young

Re: Scratch made lock, SMR
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:18:58 PM »
Looks like a dandy to me, and I admire your innovation and perseverance.

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:40:56 PM »
Nice !

Offline ScottH

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 10:57:13 PM »
Well done! Two Thumbs Up!  ;)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 12:36:30 AM »
  I'm going to bet that you might be in demand over doing this....!
 Many people have been asking for a percussion SMR... I  Your gun lock looks very well done..and the rifle too !
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 01:12:24 AM by oldtravler61 »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 12:37:43 AM »
Yes indeed - well done. Building one, lends incite and appreciation of what is available commercially to us.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 12:44:07 AM »
Nice job. Did you keep track of how many hours of work that took?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 01:20:09 AM »
Not sure....30 hours??.   It was a lot of head scratching.   Oh, I forgot in the first post.  I did use a junk box mainspring.  So add a couple more hours.  It would be far better to convert one of Jim's locks if it was about results rather than the process. 

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 03:04:32 AM »
Everybody should build one lock, just so they know.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 03:32:07 AM »
A fine example of cap locks found on many American guns including the Hawken from all time frames.
You've done well and be proud of this job.
Bob Roller

Offline Matt Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 08:48:02 AM »
My hat is off to you. Well done.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 07:11:35 PM »
Very well done, to say the least!

You should make a deal with Bob, and buy his lock business!  ;)
John Robbins

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
Very well done, to say the least!

You should make a deal with Bob, and buy his lock business!  ;)
I have no lock business and always worked as a machine shop and did more than just locks and triggers.
Automatic transmission bearings made from bronze were and reconditioning stators for GM's Powerglides
was like finding money in the street.I hope someone does start making bench crafted locks and insist on
being paid for the time and skill involved. I enjoy all the comments on this forum but certain issues have
arisen with my wife's health and arthritis has been bothering my right shoulder for several  months.
Bob Roller

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 03:45:58 AM »
I appreciate the interest and enthusiasm.  I will not be doing gun work as a business.    I have put much thought and investigation into the question over the years.  A long time ago I made the decision not to become a professional gunsmith.  Especially now, the financial, record keeping, and liability aspects do not sense for me.

I'm excited to shoot the rifle.  I will do so on Friday.  IT has my lock and a freshly re-bored barrel done to my specifications.  I guess I will find out if my ideas hold water or not. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 05:15:18 AM »
Cool! Either of those rifles will make a great montly postal match rifle. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 07:20:14 AM »
Good choice about not wanting to go into full time gunsmithing.I never identified as a gunsmith and only as a machinist,tool maker.Years ago the rumor started that I had a GUN shop and I got a visit from an agent of the BATF. and he took one look and then asked if I did anything with guns and I told him no but did sometimes make parts for muzzle loaders. We became friends and I sold him locks and triggers and he had Leonard Meadows make guns for him and I think he bought barrels from Bill Large.He did some blacksmithing as a hobby and his home was in Kentucky where he had been a State Police Officer before going Federal.
He looked at the assortment of black powder I have on a shelf,about 14 pounds and asked him about the 5 pound limit and he said it was not being enforced and he had more than that and knew shooters in Kentucky that always had a 25 keg of 3fg.Back then the BATF was part of the IRS.
The modern guns of today are one thing I know nothing about and have no interest in all and I advise you to spread the word that your interest in gunsmithing is ZERO.
Bob Roller

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 02:38:44 PM »
That looks great on the gun and adds a lot to the versatility of the gun! I know that nothing makes me appreciate something as much as making one myself. This is in two ways, first, making something yourself gives a a feeling of satisfaction through the process and result. But even more than that, making something gives me a whole new appreciation for the people who make things like this for a living through learning how difficult it can be!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 09:01:34 PM »
That looks great on the gun and adds a lot to the versatility of the gun! I know that nothing makes me appreciate something as much as making one myself. This is in two ways, first, making something yourself gives a a feeling of satisfaction through the process and result. But even more than that, making something gives me a whole new appreciation for the people who make things like this for a living through learning how difficult it can be!
The last line in your posting says all that needs to be said and the reason I relegated locks and triggers to a low status until I connected with the German market where $3 didn't stop a sale*. Totally different attitude toward a bench craftsman and no regrets from me at all for giving them preference for years.I am done with locks for the foreseeable future and the only items I make now on an irregular basis are triggers.
Bob Roller
* The Germans did not understand why the part that makes a muzzle loader work had to be the cheapest possible thing and that is the LOCK.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 10:01:59 PM »
The modern guns of today are one thing I know nothing about and have no interest in all and I advise you to spread the word that your interest in gunsmithing is ZERO.
Bob Roller

I am in California.  The last thing I want is attention from authorities.  I worked in law enforcement for 30 years, so I know how it usually goes.   I know more about the rules than most LEOs and DAs.   In my working life they consulted me.  I am very carful to follow all laws. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 10:05:00 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 11:23:44 PM »
Bob Roller

I am in California.  The last thing I want is attention from authorities.  I worked in law enforcement for 30 years, so I know how it usually goes.   I know more about the rules than most LEOs and DAs.   In my working life they consulted me.  I am very carful to follow all laws.
[/quote

I am in West Virginia and we got rid of nearly all our laws pertaining to guns with the exception of the Federal Regs.No increase in any crime either.
Bob Roller

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 11:39:15 PM »
Well done. Now you have a lock worth more than most guns. 🤩

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 11:44:58 PM »

Unfortunately time invested doesn't necessarily equate to value.

Jim

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 12:55:38 AM »

Unfortunately time invested doesn't necessarily equate to value.

Jim

Yep!  I wanted to do it for the experience as much as anything.  Jim's locks are like a Rolex.  My lock is like a Timex.  I think a guy would be ahead of the game to convert one of Jim's locks rather than make one from scratch. 

If it shoots I will properly rust brown the whole rifle and lock.  For now, I think this looks a bit better.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2023, 03:48:41 AM »
Nice job.

If you heat blue the lock plate and hammer then put on a coat of  non-detergent motor oil and smoke it off, no fire, just enough heat to cause the oil to smoke and cook away. I think you will like it.

I tend to do a simple casehardening on locks. This one is with Kasenit. Cherry Red is not as nice or I need to experiment more with it. But I may end up with a furnace for pack hardening,  dunno yet.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline LynnC

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 08:13:58 AM »
I have made 4 locks. Two flints and Two percussion.  I admit using some commercial cocks, hammers and springs. Only one did I make everything and only one approached the finish of yours. I could have worked a job and bought a dozen locks but the education was priceless. And that was worth the effort. And now I know better and buy all my locks 😁 Bless the lock makers for they keep the rest of us sane!
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......