Author Topic: Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles breech plugs  (Read 2248 times)

Three balls

Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles breech plugs
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:32:08 AM »
Has anyone removed the breech plug from one of these barrels? Is it even possible? I've heard that they are silver soldered, or possibly even welded in. Thanks

Offline Tmccastle

• Starting Member
Re: Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles breech plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
I have a browning barrel that was “unbreached.”
Looks as though a thread lock liquid may have been used. Not welded or soldered. Plug and barrel threads are heavy with  residue.

Online Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »
300 to 400 degrees should unlock the compounds, but the residue will make unscrewing difficult.
The best penetrating oil is acetone and ATF, 50:50. This is the best - Kroil is next best, but only 1/2 as good.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Three balls

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »
I thank you gents very much, I'm very familiar with thread lockers. One more question, if I may. Will heating the barrel to 3-400 degrees cause any harm to the barrel steel?
Earl

Offline cantom

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 08:31:10 AM »
I have a browning barrel that was “unbreached.”
Looks as though a thread lock liquid may have been used. Not welded or soldered. Plug and barrel threads are heavy with  residue.

Hello sir. By any chance would you have a pic or two of the breech plug patent breech area?

Online Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 08:05:14 PM »
I thank you gents very much, I'm very familiar with thread lockers. One more question, if I may. Will heating the barrel to 3-400 degrees cause any harm to the barrel steel?
Earl

no
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 10:16:25 AM »
Daryl, thank you for the ATF/Acetone mix...now if only I can recall it when I need to. Finally something that ‘ATF’ is good for.
Cheers Richard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 04:59:10 PM »
The one I pulled years ago was just screwed in no compound that I remember. But there was a fouling trap at the end of the threads. If it was shot with Pdex it might be rusted. Today I would not let one in the shop. But that goes for virtually all such things. But there were lessons learned in the 1970s and its improbable that things have gotten better with use. And I will say that nothing has changed over the last 50+ years. So I never want a barrel breeched by the maker.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine