Author Topic: Rear Sight  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Jerry

Rear Sight
« on: February 15, 2023, 04:24:43 AM »
A recent visit to the range prompted me to reach out to everyone about my rear sight. The range I use is situated so shooting directly into the sun. My front sight is brass. I have problems with a getting a good sight picture. I find it difficult picking up the rear sight. I currently put white out on the back of the blade of the rear sight. Thanks, in advance. Jerry

Offline wvmtnman

Re: Rear Sight
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 04:53:43 AM »
I shoot NSSA.  When it’s extremely sunny, I take a black sharpie marker to my muskets front sight to darken it.  Helps me out.  Plus, easy to clean. 
               Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline RichG

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 05:29:02 AM »
Can you set up a dining canopy? Whenever I'm sighting in I use a canopy to prevent the sun from messing with my sights. If not birchwood casey makes a spray on sight black that works good.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 07:01:09 AM »
I use a shader.

These made from sheet brass but you can make them from card board for on the spot use.

Online Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 07:11:47 AM »
Dry erase black felt markers are flat black, not shiny like permanent markers. This is important.
 Ordinary felt pen is better than nothing, but not a lot better.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
I ran into the same problem the other day, I found a small rattle can of a product called "sight black" in a shooting box of accessories that a friend gave me, it worked just fine. Candle soot or a dry erase marker would work well also.

Online Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 07:59:58 PM »
I still have a can of sight black. Now, I actually prefer the dry erase felt marker. It's faster and more precise.
Daryl

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
My range is the same way.  Because ML shoots have lots of carried targets a center hold is best for me.  If it was just ring targets
I'd use a 6 O'clock hold.   

I cut a thin notch down the back side of my front sight.  I then filled it with silver solder and dressed it down.  IN normal conditions I can see the silver line against the black target.  When the sun is in my face the whole front sight is visible.  I have yet to figure out the hold off for side lighting. 

Shaders are great but I think they are not allowed in NMLRA aggregates.  Maybe someone can confirm or deny this. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 09:51:17 PM »
Shaders are allowed in many NMLRA matches but not all. I do the same with the silver solder in the sight blade. Flux it, solder it and dress it flush. Shows up nice with a shader covering it.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 10:12:27 PM »
It said rear sight..... 

I use a rectangular slit about 0.040" wide and a flat top blade front sight about 0.1" wide.  I can not see the rear sight other than to look through it and take my best guess.  It is supposed to be that way.  Always focus on the front sight.  A peep sight or pinhole on my shooting glasses is a huge help if allowed.   

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 01:56:29 AM »
I made a sight shader out of a piece of 1.5" diameter black PVC well pipe.  I cut a slit in it to fit onto the 9 & 3 O'clock flats of the barrel.  Easy to put on and take off and it doesn't mar the barrel.

Online Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 08:02:02 AM »
I see a flat black rear sight just fine. Fuzzy, but fine.LOL
Dry erase marker pens do exactly this - no shine.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:13:36 AM by Daryl »
Daryl