Author Topic: Compatible Lock  (Read 1009 times)

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
Compatible Lock
« on: February 25, 2023, 10:28:44 AM »
In the mid 1980s I built a simple smooth walnut full stocked percussion rifle using a
ball twist .45 barrel I got in a trade .
At that time I wasn't aware that locks were available (pre-net) so I just used what I had laying around which was an old CVA. It's been hanging on my daughters wall for years. 
Anyway, I've decided to resurrect it with period carving and a flint lock and get it shooting again.. Question, is there a same size or slightly larger replacement flint lock of the old CVA
kit rifles style available? Not the CVA version. 
Thanks, John,,,

Online sdilts

Re: Compatible Lock
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 04:30:15 PM »
Check out L&R Lock Co. line of RPL locks. One of these might work.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 04:46:10 PM »
If Track of the wolf still did a print catalog you could order one and look to the full size lock photos. But they don’t, sadly. 
I have no idea what the dimensions of a CVA lock are. You might go to track of the wolf’s website they carry replacement FLs for some CVAs and others.
But my first choice would be Kiblers SMR lock, or Chambers or Davis late Ketland. In my experience anyone else’s locks are a $#@* shoot as to if they will work properly. Chambers makes a gunmakers lock that has a rectangular plate that can be cut to shape.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 08:28:24 PM »
I wasn't aware that Track no longer make the catalog.  They were great with the full sized pictures for matching lock plates. That is what I did when changing the lock
and barrel on my Wife's .36 TC Seneca to a .45 with leaf spring lock. The lock plate was just barely smaller than Track's standard Hawken plate- surprisingly large. I used
a Bedford County hammer as it just seemed more appropriate than the Hawken hammer.

My younger daughter shooting this rifle. It has an oak rib. (& an aluminum rod in this picture - lol)

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 09:16:55 PM »
 I think the CVA lock is 4 1/2”X 1” and I think one of the locks designed for pistols, and light rifles, is a pretty close match.

Hungry Horse