Author Topic: Tallbear here is my rifle from the class  (Read 4907 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Tallbear here is my rifle from the class
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:44:31 AM »
I don't think it turned out quite as slick as yours but I was pleased with it. This rifle handels and balances very nice and shoots like a dream. I hope you and Jim like it.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Tallbear here is my rifle from the class
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »
Cool looking rifle.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:48:16 AM »
Bama,

Sweet architecture.  I REALLY like it. 

Early Virginia??  Scrapers to finish??   How bout some more details??
In His grip,

Dane

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »
Jim
I like it!!!!It's got a very pleaseing overall feel to it!!Like an old friend.I like what you did at the entry pipe,neat idea.Whats the stain and barrel finish??I agree about how they handle and shoot.Shot mine on Friday.It shot well and handled really well.Look forward to hunting with it in a month.

Mitch
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:45:59 PM by tallbear »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:55 AM »
Looks good Jim.  Seems rifles based on this original have an  unmistakable appeal.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with that! VERY NICE INDEED!!!!
Tom C.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
This is a rifle that is owned by Wallace Gusler that feels was made in Virginia. The original is a well balanced rifle that shoulders and points as a rifle should. I was glad to get the opportunity to be able to study this rifle up close not  only from the outside but completely dissassembled so the study could be done in detail.

I am going to post another thread of the study pictures and my attempt to recreate this great rifle.

I did use mostly scrapers and rasp to shape the stock once the blank was band sawed out. I hand inlet the barrel and drilled the ramrod hole.

The butt plate and trigger guard were cast by Wallace using the originals as patterns. The lock is Jim Chambers, Jim thank you for wonderful lock. The trigger, trigger plate, nose cap, thimbles, side plate and inlays were hand made by me from sheet. The barrel was made by Ed Rayle.

The stock was stained with Wahkon Bay Aquafortis (nitric acid) this was also used to brown the barrel.

I have found that Nitric Acid will rust steel at a rapid rate. As you can see on this barrel I got a very dark surface and a little bit of an aged texture to the barrel. This was from 4 coatings over a two day period with one carding after the second coating. I let each coat stand for about twelve hours, thus the rougher texture. A finer finish can be had if the coating only stands for an hour or two then carded and recoated.

The finish is about 15 coats ofhand rubbed tung oil. Each coat would be applied, let dry and then buffed out with an old terry cloth hand towel. Then I applied about five coat of Johnsons paste wax after the oil was dry.

The metal was all filed by hand down to my finest files and then lightly sanded with 220 grit paper backed with files. I then buffed the metal with 0000 steel wool and after sighting the rifle in I wiped the brass with one of the blackend cleaning patches to take the shine off the brass and then buffed with 0000 steel wool again.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »
Jim,

Nice rifle!  It's got a lotta character for a simple gun; just like the original.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
Dang, I like that. Nice work.

I fell in love with this gun when Earl posted a photo and commentary on the old board, but I don't have the confidence to try my hand at recreating this great old piece of history from scratch.

The architecture looks very similar to that of the Bumford gun on Gary's web page,  so I'm wondering if anyone makes a precarve close enough to work for a copy of this rifle, inspired by the original? I'm wondering if a precarve for another style of English fowler could be used as the basis for this gun?

Bama,
I'm looking forward to your posting a thread with study pictures and commentary.

I like the opening page and "mission statement",on your web page, BTW.

Thanks for posting.
God bless
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:09:16 PM by J.D. »

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:23:55 AM »
Jim, I can say first hand that is one sweeeet rifle, with a feel  and balance that is rare in most rifles. I love the finish also. I finished the Abraham Schweitzer from class also but I cant post pics yet because I am still in Missouri on my deer hunt. My rifle took a nice big 7 point buck on Sunday in the rain!!!!
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks