Author Topic: Mule ear lock by Deer Creek ???  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
Mule ear lock by Deer Creek ???
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:48 AM »
I found a neat little mule ear lock down at the 'Ship in September. Never been much for caplocks but do like the unusual stuff so I bought it. Think I'll build a small squirrel rifle with it. Anyway, it's stamped Deer Creek on it. Not the Erwin Fagel Deeer creek but by a guy named Eddie Myer I think (maybe not right on the last name) Anyone know anything about it ? or the maker ? Unlike most mule ears it has a half cock notch.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Mule ear lock by Deer Creek ???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:19:40 AM »
Tim,
You have the right maker, Eddie Meyers, Madison County, Ohio. He no longer makes the lock you have, or many other things, but at one time he hand made a number of locks, knives, bag axes etc. Quality is top notch and around here his stuff is in demand. I have a full stock Hawken rifle that was built with all Deer Creek hardware and lock and a WM Large barrel. His mark is a line with a dot at each corner. You won't go wrong using his lock on your rifle.
Mark
Mark

Harley S. Donaldson

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 05:23:05 AM »
Eddie Myers is still with us and is still making neat things. I don't know if he still makes any locks but he once made percussion side locks as well as side slappers. Some of the things he made were railroad spike belt axes  knives machinist hammers and some of the best double set triggers around. during the last few years he has even written two books. His wife made some of the best pies I have ever eaten.
he lives in a little village in Madison County Ohio called Kiousville but his mailing address is Mr.Edson Myers 8530 Robinson Rd  Mt. Sterling Ohio 43143
Drop him a line he will be glad to here from you.

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:37:19 AM »
I gotta tell a story on Chuck Oder on this one. We had him over for dinner one night at our camp and he mentioned he had the lock in his booth (Whitey's booth really). A man had brought him as rifle that he wanted to convert from mule ear to conventional perc lock. He said the lock was a no name , unknown lock. Next day I went by the booth to see it. You could tell the workmanship was first rate and he wanted $32 for it. Why $32, who knows, anyway if you turned the price tag upside down, it sort of looked like 23 dollars, but no, he said "$32". I had pulled the hammer back and under the hammer it was stamped Deer Creek. I handed Oder the money and then said , "look under the hammer". He had missed it altogether. Then he and Willie told about who made it and Willie mentioned he would have bought it if he knew who made it. Ain't every day you get one over on Oder. Sometimes you just have to look closer I guess.
  I wasn't planning a new gun but I went ahead and bought a 3/4 inch .32 Green Mt barrel. Going to build a nice little half stock squirrel rifle for me now and for the Grandson when he gets older.