Author Topic: 1st project  (Read 2829 times)

WJS

1st project
« on: November 24, 2009, 02:28:05 AM »

Hello,

I picked up my first rifle project a few weeks ago, an in-the-white early Allentown style iron mount from Tip Curtis. I have a few questions about finishing this though:

1) Would fire blue screws be appropriate on an iron mount rifle?

2) Were the locks on originals browned, left in the white or finished in a different manor?

Thanks.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: 1st project
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:41:37 AM »
Just because its steel mounted does not mean it must look crude.
I would caseharden the lock, harden all the screws, the heads anyway, repolish then fire blue and fire blue all the other steel parts as well. Easier than browning and it looks better. Fairly durable too. If you want it darker fire blue then coat with oil and reheat to smoke off the oil. This will darken the blue somewhat and make it more durable.
Fireblue does not necessarily mean it is a bright blue, a little less polish will give a less brilliant blue especially if the temp is just past the bright blue color..
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:31:44 AM »
Gotta agree with Dan if you are going for a new look.

If you are going for an aged or antique look, then rusty metal , worn and polished wood works, too.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

WJS

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
Thanks.

I am thinking about browning the barrel, butt plate, trigger guard, and side plate. Leaving the lock in the white but polishing it and fire bluing all the screws. I may try reheating and smoking the oil off as mentioned to darken the blue.