Author Topic: J. Henry rifle parts source needed  (Read 17728 times)

dannybb55

Re: J. Henry rifle parts source needed
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 12:39:38 AM »
Always good to have the current facts. Were the Scrollguards the rifles with the Roller Locks?

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:30:24 AM »
...and if so would a Chambers late Ketland with the tail rounded make a reasonable facsimile for the lock
for a scroll guard or even the JJ Henry pattern Lancaster pattern?

The scroll guard is appealing personally as the trigger guard looks very comfortable ,plenty of room for all the fingers like a Hawken.
The buttplate is not too radically curved so it can be shot off the meaty part shoulder and not the upper arm and patch box looks to be about as simple as it gets to fabricate.

I ordered the trade rifle sketch book to check into the details.

The last price list I saw from Reaves Goehring had, I think,had a Henry buttplate and/or  trigger guard but I can't find it for the life of me .Maybe it was a Leman.I am too far west to attend or to have seen his display.
Does anyone have photos of his show table, a price list  or familiar enough with his furniture to make a recommendation or a considered judgement?

dannybb55

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »
The English rifle was a facsimile of the Wheeler, and others, trade rifle used by the North West Co. Would a Baker patch box be accurate?

Sean

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
The locks had a roller frizzen in general.  I say in general because there seems to have been some variability in the early years before 1835 when Henry used import locks.  Some orders even requested waterproof locks.  After 1835 the use of imports seems to have waned but likely occurred occasionally.  The Ketland can be a reasonable approximation depending on how much work you want to do to it.  If you look at Larry's version of the Ketland, he has not only rounded the tail but added and reshaped a different cock and I believe he's added some material in places with a welder elsewhere.  In general, the Henry made lock was quite beefy in terms of its moving parts and it had a slightly pigeon-breasted cock.

The Wheeler trade rifle represented in the sketchbook was not really a trade rifle.  These were made by a bunch of different English smiths, but all the ones I've seen were marked with Board of Ordinance markings.  This is thought to signify that these were gift or treaty guns for Indian allies in an effort to help defend British lands and borders around the war of 1812.  They are definitely the basis for the English and a part of the heritage of the scroll guard.  If I were building one I would go with the Rifle Shoppe castings even though I am averse to dealing with them.  Make sure they have them in stock. 

On the scroll guard and Lancaster buttplate,  TOW has a casting that is close.  Don't have the numbers on it right now though.

Sean