Author Topic: NICE REEDY ATTRIBUTED RIFLE, "DOCUMENTED", AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK  (Read 1923 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:57:49 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: NICE REEDY ATRIBUTED, RIFLE "DOCUMENTED" AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
That’s a beauty and an easy attribution.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

Re: NICE REEDY ATTRIBUTED, RIFLE "DOCUMENTED" AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 05:17:02 PM »
That’s a beauty and an easy attribution.

Absolutely!, it definitely is a great rifle. I believe that our friend Henry Bishop knows more about Reedy that most everybody, perhaps he can weigh in with some comments.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:58:30 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »
Beautiful delicate carving. I'm always amazed that a rifle can survive 200+years in this condition.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »
Many moons ago, when I was a lot younger and had no idea what 'disc herniation' was (  :o ), I was given a whole packet of b/w photos taken at extreme closeup of finish and carving on what I think was this rifle.  One way or the other it was a very fine Reedy rifle, but I swear I remember something being mentioned about the old book in which this one was published.

Anyway what was at the time fascinating to me was that when viewed in such extreme closeup and various angled lighting, you could REALLY see all the remnants of chisel marks around the carving as well as fine file marks, indicating Reedy was probably executing some secondary (following chisels) leveling around the raised portions with small needle files.  When you look at it from a few feet away you can't see any of this, but these photos were literally "nose to the wood" level of detail.  It was quite eye-opening to me at the time.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 05:45:07 PM »

Anyway what was at the time fascinating to me was that when viewed in such extreme closeup and various angled lighting, you could REALLY see all the remnants of chisel marks around the carving as well as fine file marks, indicating Reedy was probably executing some secondary (following chisels) leveling around the raised portions with small needle files.  When you look at it from a few feet away you can't see any of this, but these photos were literally "nose to the wood" level of detail.  It was quite eye-opening to me at the time.

The most eloquent written descriptions cannot not do justice to a great rifle that excellent photos can.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 06:45:02 PM »
Some of the finest design and execution of carving to be had.
What a gem!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline WESTbury

Re:UPDATE NICE REEDY ATRIBUTED RIFLE, "DOCUMENTED", AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 01:48:15 AM »
THIS RIFLE DID NOT SELL. ANY THEORIES AS TO WHY?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re:UPDATE NICE REEDY ATRIBUTED RIFLE, "DOCUMENTED", AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 03:04:06 AM »
THIS RIFLE DID NOT SELL. ANY THEORIES AS TO WHY?
High minimum not met?
Andover, Vermont

Offline John Cotterall

Re: NICE REEDY ATRIBUTED RIFLE, "DOCUMENTED", AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 05:28:16 AM »
I have never handled any original rifles but these pictures are a big help. Even when I zoom in the pictures remain clear. Also I like how worn it is around the lock (presumably from the burning of the flash pan). Beautiful work of art. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Offline HIB

Re: NICE REEDY ATRI BUTED RIFLE, "DOCUMENTED", AT MORPHY'S THIS WEEK
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 06:25:56 AM »
Gentlemen,      I did not watch the auction Re: the subject Reedy, However, I understand it did not sell.

There are three main reasons a notable gun does not sell at auction:
First and foremost has already been addressed . . . . High reserve.
The second, which is often ignored by the interested public is an excessive 'Buyers Premium'.  This premium often exceeds 20%.
The third and probably the most important is the actual 'landed cost' of the subject of interest.  Landed cost include:
       1.   Hammer price
       2.   Buyers Premium
       3.   Shipping expense
       4.   Tax
And any associated expense while pursuing the prize, ie: travel and lodging.

Anyone considering buying at auction had best figure in the real 'out of pocket costs' associated with their purchase and record that number in their records so when they attempt to sell they know or a spouse knows what was actually paid in the first place.

Of course,  many items reach the auction block without a financial history.  Auction house estimate are based on a formula and wide range of possibilities , however, the 'reserve', if any, is  generally several points below the low estimate.

My guess is this gun missed selling by one increment.   I'd be interested learning the bid sequence. We will see this gun again within a few years unless it was purchased privately after auction.  HIB

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 03:07:54 PM »
To Rich and Henry's point, it looks as though the highest bid on this rifle may have been only $22k according to Proibid's website. $22 k is only 10% above the Minimum and I believe the opening bid was possibly 10% of the Min.

The other possibility is that no bids were placed for some reason.

Offline tunadawg

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 01:28:52 PM »
Stunning rifle, but waaaay out of my price range. I need deeper pockets!

Offline dweber49

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 06:17:14 AM »
I watched the auction live on Morphy’s site.  I remember it selling.  Live Auctioneers shows an opening bid at $20k, then selling to a competing buyer at $22k.

Offline HIB

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 09:57:30 AM »
dweber49,     Please check your ALR message box for personal response.    Thanks, HIB