Author Topic: Color case furnace/kiln choice  (Read 1125 times)

Online 45-110

Color case furnace/kiln choice
« on: May 05, 2023, 02:40:35 PM »
All the recent discussion on color case work has me again thinking about doing it. What new or used kiln/furnace would one recommend for lock size parts. I assume  accurate temp. control is critical.
thanks
kw

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
Re: Color case furnace/kiln choice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 03:04:05 PM »
Brownells used to sell the complete package. Don't know if they still do though.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 03:45:34 PM »
How did Colt,Sharps,Remington and Winchester control heat? Some of those guns were stunning with the colors achieved in the 1850's.
Bob Roller

Offline JPK

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 04:49:03 PM »
When I bought my furnace it came with two controllers that are just numbered knobs. I also bought a pyrometer that is mounted to show the temperature. After a few times I know where to set the controls and must monitor it to maintain temperature. It’s worked out well for me and saves a lot of money rather than a controller that maintains temp.
Get a larger furnace for that job you didn’t think you’d be doing, you will in time.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 05:06:12 PM »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 07:57:19 PM »
Kilns for ceramics are often found for sale used on Craigslist at reasonable prices.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JPK

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 08:14:20 PM »
Temperature isn’t so precise that you need to hold to the degree. This one varied by ten during the process. There is no warping and the color was what I was wanting.
AA0149F3-4E50-45BB-8CAC-B4D4D9909E96 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 03:42:47 AM »
I can't imagine bending over a ceramic kiln at full temperature to remove the crucible to quench!!!! They are made to cool BEFORE you open the lid. I have a paragon with the fully automatic fancy dancy controller. It is great for color case or knife tempering all the high tech metals used today. I can even flood it with argon to remove all of the oxygen from the chamber so there is no scaling. Cool tool... Bob

Offline Ameristahl

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 04:03:29 AM »
I own a evenheat brand from brownells. It works well but i wouldnt really recommend them because its a very flimsy construction. Its a pile of firebrick wrapped in a layer of super thin sheet metal and the door latch is a pretty good joke. However its 6 years old now and have had no problems

Online 44-henry

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 01:46:22 AM »
I have used both gas and electric ovens, gas ones are more durable, but both work fine. You want a front loading design, ceramic top loading kilns would be dangerous to open at the 1400+ degree temperature range. Aside from that the interior chamber size is the main concern, just needs to be big enough to hold your container.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 02:49:27 AM »
We currently use a front loading furnace for pack hardening, but used a kiln for many years.  Opening it up and removing the crucible really isn't too bad.  I would wear a welding coat, a face shield and some good heat resistant gloves.  You also need some decent tongs to lift it out quickly.  These of course need to be long enough that your not down in the kiln.

The good thing about a kiln is they are dirt cheap if bought used.  Some may have a controller, but if not, this can be easily added as a unit that the kiln plugs into.  All this requires is a thermocouple be fed into the chamber.

Front load is certainly nicer, but generally quite a bit more expensive.

Jim

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 03:54:47 AM »
I picked up an old muffle furnace used for ash testing of flour.  They were tossing it so the price was right.  It was front loading but it was too small to put a tall box for actions so I tipped it up and made it a top load.  After the elements burned out I rebuilt it with new firebrick that I cut slots in for element wire I bought from a ceramic supply store.  I can now case all types of actions.  I cut the door off, extended the chamber and stack firebrick on top instead. The temperature controller is from the 1970’s but it works.

observing emoticons