Author Topic: Escopeta Catala'  (Read 1679 times)

Offline alacran

Escopeta Catala'
« on: April 27, 2023, 04:03:45 PM »
I finally finished this project. it really started back in 2006, that is when I became interested in Spanish guns. I got a copy of Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America, by Brinkerhoff and Chamberlain.
At that time, I was interested in the 1752 Spanish musket, mainly because it was what George Rogers Clark's Illinois Regiment was armed with when they captured Vincennes Indiana.
Unfortunately, the only available choice was a TRS kit. pretty much still is the only choice. I cooled on the whole thing. A few years later I acquired a partial miguelet parts set on E-Bay and it rekindled my interest.
Anyway a few years later Deep Creek Dale posted an Escopeta he stocked in Sapele, and that really got the ball rolling. I corresponded with Dale and he was more than helpful. We have become friends through this project, and it may have lingered without completion without him.
The lock is a 1792 Spanish Cavalry carbine lock, so this escopeta is a restocking from parts assembled by a provincial gunsmith /blacksmith/artificer.
He would have done the restocking in the early 19th century.
I chose cherry for the project since that was the preferred wood for sporting arms and as readily available. I got the wood from Troy Sweeny, and it turned out better than I expected.
The barrel is a Getz 16 gauge which Little Joe gave me. It was 30 inch tapered octagon, 1 inch ATF at the breech. I had Bobby Hoyt make it octagon to round, and I filed in the wedding band.
I forged the trigger guard, the butt plate, trigger and the !@*%&@ barrel bands, which were the most difficult part of the metal work.
The one thing about making Spanish guns , is there is very little available information. Few if any dimensions.
So mostly based on photographs.
I chose a Catalonian Escopeta since my family is Catalonian on my fathers side.
Anyway, I went and shot it yesterday for the first time.  It didn't blow up and was not unpleasant to shoot considering it weighs less than 6 pounds. I used 90 grains of 1f Dupont, a.648 ball and .012 cotton twill for patching. These are my first shots with it.

free image hosting

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:20:12 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Escopeta Catala'
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 05:06:15 PM »
Excellent build!
Andover, Vermont

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 05:13:50 PM »
Congratulations on a great build and it shoots well too!
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline ScottH

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 06:27:12 PM »
Beautiful work!  8)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 07:17:09 PM »
Super neat project buddy. As said nice shooting too.  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 07:24:04 PM »
Nice quilt on the butt, alacran. I didn't realize they were so angular.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 08:48:28 PM »
Loving it - great work on that nifty smoothbore!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 10:21:01 PM »
Thanks guys. It shot better than I anticipated since I had no clue what to expect. It is very light so I have to hold it with my left arm forward of the rear band to control it. My left shoulder still doesn't have enough arm strength to that for very long yet. Started squirting them around after the fourth shot. I think it will shine as a bird gun. Again thanks for the kind words.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 01:03:52 AM »
Should be a fast swinger on upland!!
Daryl

Offline helwood

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 02:14:23 AM »
Greetings Alacran,
Your Escopeta came out very nice.  I made mine with Cherry also.  I have always had good spark with mine.  I am sure yours will give you good service also.  Your metal work came out very good.    Later, Hank

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 02:17:44 AM »
Hi Guido,
Really nice.  The cherry stock is wonderful.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 03:33:54 AM »
That's really cool -- an unusual piece compared to the more usual fare. And beautifully executed. I didn't know that about the Illinois regiment being so-armed, either. Learn something new every day!

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 08:21:59 PM »
Quite an accomplishment, extremely fine work!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 08:29:22 PM »
Not exactly my type gun HOWEVER, the more that I look at your work the better that I like it. Nice job Guido!!!!!
W
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Levy

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2023, 09:03:50 PM »
Daryl,  I think the angular look of the bottom of the buttstock is a holdover from their matchlock stocks.  I saw quite a few original matchlocks from shipwrecks (Ca 1620's - 1733) and they were pretty angular at the heel.   James Levy
James Levy

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 02:39:20 AM »
Thanks again for the compliments.
Daryl I believe Levi is spot on. The Spanish were very conservative with all of their weapons. It makes sense that they would carry over older designs into new work.
Wayne, when someone sees a Catalan stocked escopeta for the first time weird is the first thought that comes to mind. Everything about it is different to a long rifle. The more I studied them the more I was determined to build one. After a while a certain beauty becomes apparent. They have a simple elegance. They were quite common here in the Southwest.
The Spanish guns from Madrid are completely different, and more recognizable to most of us. Some have very fine workmanship that is equal to or surpasses a lot of other Continental guns. Some have Miguelet locks that outwardly look like French locks.
I'll stop here before you all start to fall asleep. To me they are as fascinating as the Germanic Jaegers.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
That is outstanding.
Psalms 144

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 08:17:09 PM »
Very nice!

But for your shooting, I myself wouldn’t use 1Fg for that caliber and short barrel length, as I only switch over to it once my barrel lengths get 48” or longer, depending on the caliber. My big 75-cal 60” barreled flint smoothie LOVES large doses of 1Fg!

LOVE Escopetas and the ‘miquelet’ locks - VERY robust! This is my Officer’s model Escopeta.

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 08:25:19 PM »
Amazing guns, that's for sure.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 12:54:13 PM »
Very nice!

But for your shooting, I myself wouldn’t use 1Fg for that caliber and short barrel length, as I only switch over to it once my barrel lengths get 48” or longer, depending on the caliber. My big 75-cal 60” barreled flint smoothie LOVES large doses of 1Fg!

LOVE Escopetas and the ‘miquelet’ locks - VERY robust! This is my Officer’s model Escopeta.

I think I have seen your escopeta before. Maybe I saw it in Muzzleloading Forum's pre flintlock forum. What kind of wood was it made of.
Neat thing about Spanish Sporting Guns is that you would be hard pressed to find two that are identical.
I used 1F, mostly to mitigate recoil, since I am still recovering from shoulder replacement surgery.
However I found that the recoil was tolerable, even with the light weight of the gun. I intend to develop loads for it using 2F.