Author Topic: Wheel weights vs pure lead  (Read 15579 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Wheel weights vs pure lead
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
Let's face it; a squirrel or rabbit head just doesn't present that much resistance to a prb.  Resistance is what will make the soft lead ball expand so I don't see any advantage to using ww to reduce small game damage.  The .32 & .36 are zippy little numbers and velocity is what causes most of the damage.  A cape buffalo will expand a .458 soft point but a whitetail won't. 

I've hit squirrels mid-body with a .32 many times (30 grains 3f) without losing anything edible or causing any great damage.  The head is not eaten (at least not by me!) and there's nothing between the front and rear parts worth saving. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »
I'll find out what the .32 will do to a Columbia Ground Squirrel with body shots next May - THAT should be fun, the funnest 'squirrel' hunting of all, where you can have 100 to 500 shots in a day.  I acknowledge it wouldn't be possible to have much over 150 shots with a muzzleloader, considering the loading and cooling off time required - but fun it will be.  35gr. of 3F is my load.

northmn

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »
Let's face it; a squirrel or rabbit head just doesn't present that much resistance to a prb.  Resistance is what will make the soft lead ball expand so I don't see any advantage to using ww to reduce small game damage.  The .32 & .36 are zippy little numbers and velocity is what causes most of the damage.  A cape buffalo will expand a .458 soft point but a whitetail won't. 

I've hit squirrels mid-body with a .32 many times (30 grains 3f) without losing anything edible or causing any great damage.  The head is not eaten (at least not by me!) and there's nothing between the front and rear parts worth saving.

I gather the head is a delicacy in some regions.  My mothers folks from Missouri cooked up the head.  Its  a sacrifice I am willing to make to save the rest of the carcass.  There is also a lot of bone in the head. (No further comment on this)

DP

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
I can just about imagine the look on my mother's face if she saw a squirrel head in the soup pot. HA!   

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »

When I was a kid I had a 32 percussion, they a 40 percussion, then a 36 flint.
With 30 gr on FFFg any one of them would cut a squirrel near in two with a body shot.
Makes them much harder to skin.

Dan

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »

When I was a kid I had a 32 percussion, they a 40 percussion, then a 36 flint.
With 30 gr on FFFg any one of them would cut a squirrel near in two with a body shot.
Makes them much harder to skin.

Dan

Dan

???  You SKIN yours afore you cook 'em?!  :o
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 03:50:29 AM »
Ummmm - yes.