Author Topic: Ironsmithing and Gunmaking  (Read 4594 times)

northwoodsdave

Ironsmithing and Gunmaking
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »
I'm pretty new at gunmaking, but have some blacksmithing background.  Now that I'm setting up a forge along with setting up a shop for building guns, I'm curious if there are resources out there for smithing gun parts. 

I already found (and contacted) Steve Bookout at Toad Hall.  But are there any blacksmithing books that contain information specific to gun building? Any other sites?

Thanks in advance!

David Lowe

Scott Brush

Re: Ironsmithing and Gunmaking
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »
David,

American Pioneer Video is one that comes to mind, here's a link to their site; http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/  They're very nice to deal with.

Scott

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
I'm pretty new at gunmaking, but have some blacksmithing background.  Now that I'm setting up a forge along with setting up a shop for building guns, I'm curious if there are resources out there for smithing gun parts. 

I already found (and contacted) Steve Bookout at Toad Hall.  But are there any blacksmithing books that contain information specific to gun building? Any other sites?

Thanks in advance!

David Lowe

This link should take you to the Gunsmith of Williamsburg video.
This has forge work on gun parts and it is good from anyone who wants to make longrifles to have.
Dan
http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductView?catalogId=12116&storeId=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=16230&parentCategoryId=18377&start=1&end=12&sortBy=featured
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northwoodsdave

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »
Both sources look great and thanks to both of you.

I also notice that these are videos and am realizing that perhaps SHOWING how it is done might be more effective than simply telling in book form.

Thanks again

David

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »
I got the Hershel House Blacksmithing videos and followed them for a couple years.  I then took Hershel's class at the NMLRA Seminars and for the most part tossed out the videos.  Not that they aren't good resources, just first hand instruction included procedures Hershel had developed since he did the videos.  Also, Frank and John were there and they have their own way.  Also the videos are abridged and do not cover all aspects of forging buttplates and triggerguards, etc.  Still absent attending the class, I'd suggest looking for someone in the area to work with and set up a weekend that you can visit and get first hand instruction.

northwoodsdave

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
kent

I absolutely agree with that advice.  I want to use the books and tapes to get a good working knowledge, but realize that hands-on time is priceless.

I originally learned smithing from a man who learned from the Amish.  His skill was amazing, even though he had no forge at the time and used an oxy-acetylene torch as his source of heat.  The hours I spent working with him were an amazing introduction to metalwork.

It will likely be Spring before I can devote whole weekends to this, but I do plan to attend as many events and workshops as I can after that.

David