Author Topic: Baker Rifle  (Read 19451 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Baker Rifle
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
Taylor,

Very nice rifle and thoughtful gift!  How was the interaction with TRS?  Did you have to wait long or was everything in stock?  I really like the finish you achieved, great looking rifle and thanks for the pics!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:09:01 AM »
Taylor,
Beautiful rifle.  
I suspect your friend is familiar with the Bernard Cornwell "Sharp" series.  The books are quite good and there was a several episode series made of them.  Sharp was a fictitious up-from-the-ranks officer in the 95th rifles.
Quite nice work.
Hope to see you at Dixon's, scarcely more than seven months away!
Larry Luck
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:09:25 AM by L. Luck »

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 07:15:06 AM »
Nice.  For finishing it that quickly, you really paid attention to detail.  Great metal to wood fit.
                                                                                                   Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
I've done three sets from TRS now, and they have one thing in common.  When you clean up the metal, go easy.  Don't take any more off than the flash from casting, including the bevels on parts and inlays.  There is no extra metal, and the inlets are very close to finish size too.  As well, the wood has been machined very close to finish dimension.  Their "brass" is very hard and takes a good polish.  I sanded this one to 1200, and then burnished it with 0000 steel wool.  Once you get to about 280, it goes very quickly, removing the scratches left by the previous paper/cloth abrasive.
This is the first stock that I have tried to scrape, and I ended up sanding it again anyway, especially after whiskering it.  I intend to do a longrifle with just the scraper.  It sure takes out the file marks better than sanding.
Larry, I regret that I won't be able to attend Dixon's in '10.  It takes me about two years to save enough to be able to make it back.  I'll sure be there in spirit, when the time comes.
Ed, when I phoned TRS, i asked them if they had all the parts in stock for this Baker set.  the woman with whom I spoke assured me that everything except for one minor part was in stock, and they expected that last part in a week.  After a month went my, I phoned again, and believe me, getting a person to talk to on the other end is quite a trick.  The short story is that I had everything in hand in less than a year.  All the parts are of the best quality, and everything was in individual zip lock bags, in their component groups.  They supplied some silly 6 x 32 full thread screws for the lock, but they were not used.  I made 6 x 40 screws from good steel.  That's why one buys a lathe worth $5000 - to make 50 cent screws.  And I wouldn't be without it. (now)
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
Thanks Taylor, I was just curious because I've heard stories...  But, have also heard the same thing about top quality parts.  I couldn't think of a better way to use a $5000 dollar lathe....

I was looking forward to seeing you at Dixon's, sorry you won't be able to make it.  I guess your brother won't be making the trip either?  Well, see ya in 2011!!

Again, really nice rifle...

Ed 

Ed Wenger