Author Topic: Barrel stamping dies  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
Barrel stamping dies
« on: June 17, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »
I searched the forums and the WWW for stamping dies that resemble these:

No luck so far. TOW carries some stamping dies but not these. Anyone know how to make 'em? Found a company in India that claims they can make hand stamping dies of any design. Unknown company, unknown quality. Just not willing to risk it. Any tool and die makers here?

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline flatsguide

Re: Barrel stamping dies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
Davec2  might pipe in. I recall he made a few for his rifles.
Cheers Richard

Offline RAT

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 01:13:41 AM »
Infinity Stamps will make custom "logo" stamps to your design. I don't know if they make "negative" stamps where the letters/image is in relief.
Bob

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:39:57 AM »
There is a thread on this somewhere on ALR, but here is a link to a search that seems to have a lot of sources:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=custom+hand+stamping+dies+-etsy&atb=v309-1&ia=web

I should order a couple myself, let us know what you decide on.

Like your postings!

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 04:14:05 AM »
Buckeyeengraving.com

Offline Hank01

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 12:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. We'll do some research using Carl's link and the referral posted by James and RAT.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 03:42:44 PM »
This can be simple or very difficult depending on how close you want it to the original work.  The original stamps are three dimensional and carved / modeled.  These can be made, but are of course much more difficult than the simple two dimensional stamps most are familiar with.

Jim

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 03:49:49 PM »
Hank,

This might be of some help......touch mark press and dies I made....

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1138.msg11556#msg11556
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Hank01

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »
This can be simple or very difficult depending on how close you want it to the original work.  The original stamps are three dimensional and carved / modeled.  These can be made, but are of course much more difficult than the simple two dimensional stamps most are familiar with.

Jim

I'd like to keep 'em as close to original as possible. Just need to find a source.

Hank,

This might be of some help......touch mark press and dies I made....

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1138.msg11556#msg11556

That's an impressive set up Dave. Pun is intentional. We have an hydraulic bearing press and with a couple mods it can be used for making the impression. As for the dies, i spent considerable time studying yours. Man, do you have the skill! Even if i had the tools to work and shape HSS there's no way i could do that. Thanks for your feedback. Yes, it is helpful.

In the meantime i contacted a few companies. One has already responded with a "sorry, we don't do that". No answer yet from the rest of 'em.

Hank

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 02:46:22 PM »
Has anyone experimented with using an EDM Burn procedure for a project like this? It involves carving the carbon electrode, similar to a steel stamp, and the burn process eliminates the risk of barrel deformation from pressure. I'm not making a recommendation, just curious if anyone in gunsmithing has experience with this approach, as I've only used EDM burn in my professional work.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 06:09:32 PM »
OK. I can't see anything but the pictures..... but.......... are those not brass or gold castings that have been inlaid in the barrel???   Seems that would be a simpler wary to create the same effect??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 06:57:02 PM »
OK. I can't see anything but the pictures..... but.......... are those not brass or gold castings that have been inlaid in the barrel???   Seems that would be a simpler wary to create the same effect??

Gold sheet set into a mortice that is undercut and / or has teeth raised.  The sheet is struck with the forming die that shapes it and locks it into place.

Once the forming punch is made, the easiest way for sure.