Author Topic: LH English sporting rifle - sort of  (Read 774 times)

Offline sdilts

LH English sporting rifle - sort of
« on: June 27, 2023, 03:35:16 AM »
A friend wanted a LH English percussion sporting rifle. Trouble is, there are no appropriate LH locks or hooked breeches. So here is what we came up with. We used a Manton style hook breech from Rice Barrel and installed a drum in it. By the way, that is a really nice breech, it literally snaps together. For the lock we used a LH Manton lock from L&R. The lock plate was modified by filing off the front of the bolster area over to the drum cutout. A drip bar was soldered to the barrel. The triggerguard, buttplate and trigger/trigger bar came from Rod England. The stock shape was copied from an original that my friend has. The barrel is a 30" 50 cal swamped from Rice. The nose cap is horn. Here's a couple pics.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: LH English sporting rifle - sort of
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 03:26:18 PM »
Outstanding and it satisfies someone's need for a special rifle.Is the hammer in the fired position or is it JUST off the nipple?
If it's in the fired position I would deepen the cup so it would help with possible cap flash.I have made only ONE of the correct
style locks for this style of rifle and it was a right and left pair for a double rifle.With no proper breech it would be no benefit and
a good job was done with what was available.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 04:46:10 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline sdilts

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »
Thanks Bob. It is in the fired position. I'll deepen it a bit. It never even occurred to me.

Offline stumbling buffalo

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 07:31:58 PM »
Nice piece of walnut, too.