Author Topic: New use for large screen TV  (Read 632 times)

Offline jm190

New use for large screen TV
« on: June 09, 2024, 05:52:16 PM »
Hi All, got the urge to build a smooth rifle but hadn't been able to figure out how to easily enlarge images from RCA volumes. My apology if this is old news to anyone. A search here suggested using a power point projector to display the image on a wall and then trace the outline. Then a light bulb came on.

This is what I did; 1. scanned page out of RCA into a .pdf, 2. saved scan to thumb drive and opened it in laptop connected to large screen TV, 3. opened .pdf in Adobe and adjusted zoom until a known dimension measures properly on the display screen, 4. attach tracing paper and trace whatever outline you need.

I used the length of the lock plate as it was the most clearly defined dimension. I'll have to try an image like a .jpg to see if it comes out with better definition.

free image hosting

Hope this is helpful!
John

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: New use for large screen TV
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 07:05:31 PM »
Very Creative of you 8). Since I don't have Adobe or can scan an image out of a book I have done it the "old school" method. Which is to set up 1 inch grids laid out on a large sheet of paper then using a drafting scale I measure the butt section first then transfer that dimension to the 1 inch scaled paper. I continue doing this until I got the complete rifle laid out. Yes - it is a slow process but works.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 08:15:52 PM »
Neat idea.  I do the same with a photo projector.  I laid out the plans for a 1/4 Scale Fokker Eindecker like that.

When measurements matter use the photo as a general guideline.  After draw it in for keeps using exact  measurements. 

One thing to be aware of this that a camera does not take a picture that is free of distortion.  The part of the photo that is 90* to the object is good.  As you get away from that there is distortion.   Having a grid pattern and a measuring tape in the frame is important.  Another good way to minimize it is to use a lens that gets you away from the object.  An 80-200MM was my favorite for that with film.   Using a telephoto instead of a macro is a good thing.  IT seems counter intuitive. 

Offline JasonR

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 09:02:38 PM »
Maybe you're aware of this but zooming to your desired trigger pull length also properly proportionalizes the profile of the rear 1/3 of stock (assuming the original architecture was designed correctly)...meaning the lock area, wrist, and butt stock stay in proper proportion as you increase or decrease trigger pull length. I've double checked with my caliper. Its usually right on with the 3/5 rule and golden mean.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2024, 09:25:39 PM »
Now THAT is really clever....next thing you know somebody will figure out how to make a lock with a CNC machine

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 12:20:41 AM »
I have found the staff at Staples to be accommodating to my whims.
I make a print on regular computer paper and with a good backlight make a tracing of the butt stock and lock area and ask them to blow it up on their architectural copy machine until the get the lock or length of pull dimensions called out in the KRA specs.
A friend showed me his pistol prints he had blown up and glued to 1/4" hardboard for his models to build from.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson