Author Topic: Butler County PA Guns and Gunmakers?  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Butler County PA Guns and Gunmakers?
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »
My ancestors moved from Berks Co to Carlisle in the mid 18th century and then on to Butler County in western PA where my Great, great grandfather William H Boone was born in 1809. He then moved on to Ohio where my great grandfather, George Washington Boone was born in 1837.

I figure that along with any guns they brought with them from Eastern PA they might well have picked up some guns in western PA/Butler county in the last half or quarter of the 18th century. My family were farmers.

What school of guns would have come from Butler county in the early federal period, immediately after the Revolution and up to about 1820??

Any pictures or direction to pictures would be appreciated.  Builders??

I have a 44" Griffin barrel and a nice piece of black walnut..and I wonder if I can use it to make a gun that might resemble something the family might logically have owned.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:08:40 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
Re: Butler County PA Guns and Gunmakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
hey, drtimboone i believe there was a maker by the name of "ford".in the butler city area. the other i'm positive of was a harmony pa. butler co. maker was" Charles flowers".  his guns are pure regional, both
in style and decoration.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »
You might also look at Crawford County, which is the next county north of Butler. There's a store in Meadville called The Boot Box that has a few originals  by local builders on display from the time period you're referencing.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »
Tim,   A collector friend was over to the shop this morning to pick up a couple of his guns that he had a little work done to.  We were taking about the Harmony  Antique Gun show on August 9th.   He mentioned that another collector just picked up a Flowers gun and would have it at the show.  If you are interested in the show, send me a PM and I will send you a scan of the flyer for the show.    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Scott Brush

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:28:59 AM »
Tim,

I spoke to Rick Rosenberger, co-author of "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania...Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties", at the Longrifle show in Jefferson Co. today.  He told me that there weren't any gunsmiths in Butler County in the last half or quarter of the 18th century because Butler County didn't exist then.  Butler County was formed from part of Allegheny County on March 12, 1800.

He suggested that the closest you might get would be Thomas Allison, who moved to New Sewickley Twp., Beaver Co. in 1814 (Beaver Co. was also formed from part of Allegheny Co. on March 12, 1800 and adjoins Butler Co.).  Allison trained John Fleeger, who grew up in Center Twp., Butler Co., at his shop in Beaver Co..  Fleeger opened shop in Allegheny Co. after his apprenticeship.

Both Allison and Fleeger made beautiful guns, maybe someone here has some pictures they could post for us.  If you want a real challange you might build a rifle in the style of Fleeger and include an early Monongahela Valley patchbox.  Fleeger was also known for his superb engraving.

Rick's book was published by The University of Pittsburgh Press.  He told me it is out of print but you may be able to find it somewhere.

Scott   

Scott Brush

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »
A quick search of Amazon Books shows 9 available, new and used from about $85 - $380.  Here's a link; http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0822937271/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218922196&sr=1-1

Scott