Author Topic: Wiping between shots (liquid?)  (Read 1465 times)

Offline smoke

Wiping between shots (liquid?)
« on: July 29, 2023, 12:58:19 AM »
Hi does anyone here use 99 percent alcohol to dampen patches to wipe between shots? Thanks

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Wiping between shots (liquid?)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 01:00:38 AM »
Nope. I never wipe between shots. No need.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 03:10:55 AM »
If shooting my .32 or .36 a lot if I feel the need to wipe I use 97% Isopropyl alcohol. One wet patch followed by one or two dry patches. Dries quick and works well. Don't do this often but if needed it works great. Before going to the range or a shoot I do wipe the inside of the barrel with the alcohol to remove any oil residue.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 03:42:10 AM »
If you have a good snug/tight load combo with a good lube you shouldn't need to wipe between shots but in-between relays it might be needed, UNLESS you are shooting with teflon coated patching which needs to be wiped between shots.

Offline TDM

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 05:00:21 AM »
It’s caliber and lube dependent. I don’t shoot .32s or .36s at this time, but the conscious is a .32 needs swabbing. With my .45, .50, & .54 and a well soaked mink oil patch I don’t find a need to swab. But when I do it’s either with a Ballistol/water moosemilk or 91% alcohol. And I wipe my pan, frizzen, and flint with 91% alcohol.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »
Never need to wipe the bore to continue shooting, all day long, with rifles from .25 cal through to .60 cal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 02:46:25 AM »
wiping is for people who would rather clean than shoot i wipe my guns after a day's shooting. with my lube i can shoot indefinitely and never swab. i have told this many times but it falls on deaf ears. but Jake on youtube "everything black powder" did his latest video on my suggestion. on there and the muzzleloading forum  i am known as olskool, if you are interested check out his video on youtube to see what i use, otherwise, happy swabbing,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 04:10:20 AM »
I don't wipe between shots unless I'm shooting Teflon coated patching but a lot of talk here about cleaning all day if you do wipe between shots so I'm wondering just how long it takes to run a damp patch down the barrel. In the NMLRA Bench, Light Bench and Cross stix matches there is usually 45 min relays to get 5 shots off. I don't ever recall anyone running out of time because he wiped between shots. Most times it's gun malfunction or waiting on the wind.  :-\

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 01:12:43 AM »
You can wipe without irritating the non wipers by seating your patched ball with a wet cleaning patch on a jag. Alcohol is good and is what I use on all of mine from off hand to bench rest. Try it and if you like it great if not move on.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 01:24:47 AM »
I don't wipe the bore during any shooting session.  I load fairly tight prb which keeps the bore "clean" with only one shots worth of fouling.  The tenth load goes down just as easily as the second one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wolf

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 02:39:51 AM »
i have a friend and forum member that showed me dawn lube. he shoots 3 day shoots and never wipes, at least 100 shots, i think you can go for a long, long, long while,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 11:50:06 PM »
 IMO, If you have to swab after every shot something is WRONG with your load, or lube, or both. Or your bore is rough from modern counterfeit powder, or from the factory.

Hungry Horse

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 12:46:33 AM »
When our group has a thirty station woods walk this time of the year, I wipe once about half way. Do I really need too? Probably not, but it makes loading a bit easier. I use a patch that is wet with alcohol and never had a problem. I wipe the frizzen and flint at the same time with same patch.  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI