Author Topic: One piece nosecap  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Skirmisher

One piece nosecap
« on: July 24, 2023, 02:03:37 AM »
I have a c.1800 longrifle that primarily shows Lancaster County features.  It has a one-piece brass nosecap which to me is unusial in a Lancaster rifle.  Does a one-piece nosecap suggest another area of manufacture?  Were it not for this, the rifle would be a typical Dickert ( This piece is unsigned).+

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: One piece nosecap
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 03:12:18 AM »
I have a c.1800 longrifle that primarily shows Lancaster County features.  It has a one-piece brass nosecap which to me is unusial in a Lancaster rifle.  Does a one-piece nosecap suggest another area of manufacture?  Were it not for this, the rifle would be a typical Dickert ( This piece is unsigned).+
I don’t think a one-piece nosecap indicates an area. Keep in mind a good number of famous rifles in the books were once converted to percussion and turned into half-stocks. Then re-converted to flint and the fore-end restored. Including thimbles and nosecap and moldings.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 05:42:20 AM »
I don’t think a one-piece nosecap indicates an area. Keep in mind a good number of famous rifles in the books were once converted to percussion and turned into half-stocks. Then re-converted to flint and the fore-end restored. Including thimbles and nosecap and moldings.

A restored forearm is usually pretty easy to see.
Do you have any pictures you could post?
John
John Robbins

Offline HIB

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 08:30:12 AM »
Gentlemen,     During my 45 years of research into the Early Reading gunsmithing school  I have examined close to  35-40 rifles attributed to the Reading area and 8 or 9 with original fore ends and original cast brass one piece nose caps.  After about five of these discoveries I started to think of the possibility of a foundry located either in or near Reading that could have had a niece market niche for cast brass rifle fittings.  The study progressed to side plates, trigger guards, butt plates and patch box finials and rails. I am now convinced the foundry existed.  However, I have not discovered a name or location. There are several to consider, I am told.

There is no doubt the three  original cast nose pieces in my most recent gathering were cast and fixed to the barrel with a similar lug and screw.  All three of the examples were un-uniform. Each side was a different thickness than the other side and slimmer than the bottom of the casting.  All verified as cast by people who should know.

I suspect the only way to really demonstrate the casting and or foundry theory would involve numerous collectors gathering their guns together and have a trained gunsmith dismantle the single piece nose caps for a formal inspection.  I am lucky enough to have photos of three and know where 3 more are.

Lancaster:   If a foundry or wagon jobber carrying cast brass fittings was an aggressive soul I can imagine him or her venturing in the direction of Lancaster, as it was as well a known gun making community as Reading. Maybe even more so.

It is important to note:   My studies are of the earlier guns attributed to Reading as found in Shumway's Vol. I and several others from various collections including my own.

With respect,    HIB

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:37:58 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
  It has a one-piece brass nosecap which to me is unusial in a Lancaster rifle. 
SKIRMISHER
I have been studying "Lancaster" rifles fairly intently for the last four years and your statement above concerning Nose Caps caught my eye. Can you cite a reference on Lancaster type nosecaps or is this based on your experience.  I'm just gathering info on Lancaster County rifles for my own edification. I've only had "up close and personal" experience with one Lancaster rifle so I'd appreciate your input.

PS I use more "I's" than Ricky Ricardo!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 06:05:34 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 07:43:11 PM »
I have no expertise on this.  The forged cap as opposed to the two-piece sort, seemed unusual to me only because the few Dickerts I had looked at all had the other type.  I am hearing, however that there is nothing unusual about the hammered or forged form.  In fact, I now understand that two-piece nosecaps did not come into common use until the 1780s.  This rifle, however, dates to around 1800 and is definitely not restored.