Author Topic: Biddle and Co Family Pass Down-Need Help w/ Parts  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Jitterbug58

• Starting Member
Biddle and Co Family Pass Down-Need Help w/ Parts
« on: July 17, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »
Hello all,
This Biddle and Co long rifle has been in my family for a few generations, possibly longer.
I am mid 60's, and it was passed down from my TN Grandmother/Mother to me, who said it had "always been in the family".

It was stored under my parents bed and when we were kids we would drag it out across the shag carpet to show friends and marvel at how heavy it was.
The trigger guard and double trigger assembly came off at some point and was last seen in my parent's home a few decades ago.
With my Mothers recent passing, we were unable to locate it upon cleaning out the home.

I know its in rough shape, but I want to hang in my office, and pass to one of mine for family positerty.

I would like to find a replacement guard and trigger assembly, rod pipe, correct rod, and if thats a unliklely possibility, perhaps aftermarket if made.

Hoping I can get some information from the forum and/or direction on how to find original parts if possible, or if replacement parts are even a viable option.
Thank you in advance!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Biddle and Co Family Pass Down-Need Help w/ Parts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 08:31:48 PM »
Most of the time the name on the lock does not indicate who made the gun. It’s just a brand of lock, sometimes not even made by who it says, but ordered by hardware stores and suppliers stamped with the company name desired.

It’s going to be try and fit as far as replacement parts. Best bet is to go to a show where suppliers have parts and take the gun with you.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 10:32:08 PM »
Additional photos of the gun would help determine where it might have been made... which would influence the decision on the guard style. Can you post pictures of the tang at the back of the barrel/breech, rear ramrod pipe, and the lock bolt washer on back side opposite the lock? Seeing those items would help understand the rifle, and could help make better decisions on what style guard and triggers to select as replacements.

Since the gun will have several new/modern parts on it, have you considered straightening out the bottom "bent around" end of the butt plate back to its original shape, and restoring the toe of the butt that's been broken off?

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:47:55 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Jitterbug58

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 11:10:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.
My apologies for the delay,
I will get some additional pictures asap and post.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:38:27 PM »
A track of the wolf paper catalog would be real handy for this 
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/