Author Topic: So, what do you think  (Read 1130 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
So, what do you think
« on: August 06, 2023, 01:36:00 AM »
about where, or who made this rifle?
Mostly because of the inlay style, and the engraving style there and on the patchbox, I'm thinking Easton area.
Originally it was a flint, but has been percussioned and lost about 10 inches of barrel length. I think the one thing that might give up the makers name is the brass signature plate on the barrel. Someone has filed the name off, but the plate has an unusual shape with points on each end. If someone has seen a similar rifle with a name on a similar plate, that'll most likely be the guy!
I'll offer up a six pack or bottle of your favorite libation for the info!  :o
Thank you, John
Click on the picture for a larger image.

John Robbins

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: So, what do you think
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 03:48:04 AM »
I don't know the maker, but I love the cheekpiece and the inlay below the pick holder.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 05:02:34 AM »
Henry  Young .   He used same type of name plate. Does it have a  Wear plate? 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:06:45 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »
Thank you guys for the information!
Avirc, Those inlays were what drew my attention to the gun in the first place. I have a couple pictures of a John Young rifle with similar stock architecture, with a couple of similar inlays, although in brass, and the captive barrel lugs and oval silver inlays.

I was hoping the barrel name plate might give up the makers name. Many thanks for that info Jim, and I wonder if you have a picture of a signed name plate?
And also, no, it doesn't have a wear plate.
PM me with info on where to send whatever!  :D

I have to say, this forum is amazing. I've had this gun for years, always keeping an eye open for makers info. So I finally post the pics up, and have my answer in a couple hours!

Thanks again, John
John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 05:43:36 PM »
John, At one time I had two John Young rifles but they have moved out long ago. I still have a Henry Young rifle . I took a couple of pictures of where the name would go . He did the outline with dots in the same pattern as yours and the signed one that has been published.  I don't know if the signature wore off on mine or was never put on.  There are pictures of Henry Young in "Behold The Longrifle " page 167 also the same rifle is pictured in one of the old K.R.A. bulletin's . Maybe around 1996 to 2000.
Here is a poor picture of the barrel on mine I took this morning .You can buy me a drink if we ever meet. Maybe at the K.R.A. sometime.   If you do a search of Henry Young here  Eric had some good info on him.  Also there were some pictures of mine if there still there.  Jim

JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 09:16:20 PM »
Jim, Thanks for the pictures! It was the gun you just posted that I have, and what basically lead me to Easton and the Youngs. Thanks too for the mention of Jim's book. Lot's of similarities from that gun to mine, so I'm comfortable I have the maker of my rifle.
Hope to see you at the KRA one day as well.
John
John Robbins