Author Topic: Rifles on Display at the Alamo  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Nazgul

Re: Rifles on Display at the Alamo
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »
mbriggs:
"I am sorry, but the video touched a couple of nerves with me.  If anyone wants to learn more about the Alamo, I urge you to purchase and read the William C. Davis book "Three Roads to the Alamo." The book provides the true history of David Crockett, James Bowie, and William Barret Travis and how they got to the Alamo and dispels many 1950's myths I (and many of you) grew up with.  "

Ditto on "Three Roads to the Alamo" book. Very well researched and interesting. The primary characters were not what we expect, except maybe Crockett. Davy was the most like our perception.

We were there 3 years ago. One of the best trips we have taken. Highly recommended.

Don

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2023, 03:59:40 AM »
I grew up in Texas. The Alamo is indeed our Thermopylae. Regarding “true history” we will never know. History is just some narrative the winners agree upon.  They were men of their times. We cannot judge them by our standards.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »
They were men of their times. We cannot judge them by our standards.
Amen, I wish more would understand this!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson