Author Topic: Saddle Pistol's of George Washington's  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Steeltrap

Saddle Pistol's of George Washington's
« on: August 15, 2023, 08:26:32 PM »
I finally did something that I've wanted to do for 50 years. Drive 40 minutes from where I live to Ft. Ligonier. If you have a chance to do this, I recommend it. I only post this in the gun builders forum as some may wish to view the lines of these pistols. If this is in the wrong  place, please move or let me know.

I took a few photos (you are allowed to do this) of Washington's "Saddle Pistols". He had two of them. The photo quality is not the best, but you get the general view of them. The barrels were quite ornate with carvings. Now, these are smooth bore pistols, and frankly, I've forgotten the caliber, but I'm going to guess 62.

Now, they display many different types of weapons at the museum. I was surprised\educated at the size of the locks on some of the muskets. (I failed to take photos of those, but I'll be back) Some locks on the 62 caliber's were twice the size of what a "standard" flintlock lock is on reproduction flintlocks. In addition, some of the locks had an actual "safety latch" incorporated in them. They also had what I can only describe as an "enormous" 106 caliber (IIRC) that was mounted on a spike swivel. As no ordinary man could possibly hold, aim, and fire this beast. It was over 6' long!!

I did manage to snap a photo of some of the various musket, mortar, and cannon ball projectiles used. This gave me a much better idea of the "weight" that cannons were assigned. (6-lb, 12-lb, case shot, grape shot, buck shot, explosive Howitzer cannon ball, etc.

Was my first trip, but won't be my last. Again, if you have an opportunity, definitely visit.

FWIW

Offline dadybear1

Re: Saddle Pistol's of George Washington's
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 01:50:29 AM »
THANKS FOR THE PICS/POST AND HISTORY---JEFF in TEXAS

Offline rayh

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 06:02:06 PM »
After visiting Ligonier, go to Bushy Run, another good museum. If time the Braddock Museum in Pittsburg is very good as well as the Ft. Pitt in Pittsburg.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 05:17:45 PM »
After visiting Ligonier, go to Bushy Run, another good museum. If time the Braddock Museum in Pittsburg is very good as well as the Ft. Pitt in Pittsburg.

Careful, those of us from the area will get offended if you forget the "h" at the end of Pittsburgh!! :)

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 10:08:19 PM »
Glad you made the trip.  It is indeed a great display of the time period. I am only about 15 minutes from Ligonier and am thru there ofte.  Usually get to the museum at least once a year and always see something new.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »

Careful, those of us from the area will get offended if you forget the "h" at the end of Pittsburgh!! :)

Man....That's the truth!!!