Author Topic: Black Powder Shooting  (Read 919 times)

Offline 83nubnEC

Black Powder Shooting
« on: October 02, 2023, 07:49:21 PM »
Question? When does recoil begin in a firearm? Ignition of powder/cartridge in the breech or upon exit of bullet from barrel? Have read of ignition recently and I was under the impression for years that it was the exit of gases and projectile out the end of the barrel! Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Black Powder Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 08:58:05 PM »
During acceleration of the projectile. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 12:27:23 AM »
The slower the projectile is driven, the more the projectile is affected by recoil, providing there is enough recoil to move the gun.
Slow motion video of a high velocity gun, will show the projectile exiting the muzzle before the gun has a chance to move. This is
quite obvious with the higher vel. elephant rifles.
The harder a gun is held down, as when bench shooting, but holding the forend, resting the back of the forward hand on a bag,
compared to shooting off a rest without holding the forend, the shot without holding will strike higher than when the gun is held.
This shot is recoil induced by the gun not being held for that split second. I have one rifle that the difference is 3 1/2" at 100 meters.
It kicks a bit.
Thus, final sighting should be done in the manner of most of your shooting style. I find that shooting from a bench and holding the forend
with the back of the front hand on a bag, gives the same POI as shooting offhand.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 01:41:00 PM »
Daryl, very interesting and informative. Jerry

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 04:05:56 PM »
Thanks for clearing this up with your info, Rich and Daryl! Never too old to learn something and I knew this was the place to get the answer.