Author Topic: Patternmakers vise  (Read 2137 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Patternmakers vise
« on: April 02, 2024, 05:34:25 PM »
Woodcraft has the vise on sale for $115. If you visit the page and do not purchase they will often come back to you in a day or so and offer free shipping. Happy building!

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
Re: Patternmakers vise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 08:23:39 PM »
If anyone wants the plans on modifying this like the ones that I sold or that Mike Lee is selling just PM me!

"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 08:37:19 PM »
The vise Delivered posted is a good vise, but this is the one that's on sale at Woodcraft..... https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-carving-vise

Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 12:48:40 AM »
I have two of the pattern-maker's vises Ron referenced.  Excellent service over the years, wouldn't part with them till I die.  Then it's first grab gets them.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 03:14:52 PM »
I really like the vise that Woodcraft has on sale. I highly recommend it. However, there are two caveats. The crank handle will loosen the jaws if you bump into it. I cut mine off to a nub. A friend gimbaled his, so it stays out of the way. If the jaws loosen for whatever reason and your work slips down the two crossbars will dent your work. I put a piece of heavy leather on the crossbars.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 03:46:54 PM »
I keep a sponge between the posts on mine.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 04:00:51 PM »

I stack up shop rags.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 05:15:04 PM »
I cut a spacer from a scrap of 2 x4 with a piece of leather on top to saddle over the two bars. The only draw back is you have to remove to clamp any thing narrower than a gun. I also cut the handle back so I don’t loosen by accident.
Bob
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:53:00 PM by BOB HILL »
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline taterbug

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 11:34:24 PM »
yes, that 'stick out' handle has a habit of grabbing pockets, belt loops, shirt tails and anything it can to loosen, let the workpiece slip, and make you say bad words.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 03:22:50 AM »
Not a fan at all of mine. Needs re-engineered. The black wing nut in the back doesnt hold at angles as needed and relies on thumb pressure to tighten. Would not buy again. The entire reason I bought this thing was to hold my work at Angles and save my neck. I shouldn't have to re-engineer something that should have been built correctly in the first place

Offline duca

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 11:12:39 AM »
JasonR, “The black wing nut in the back”  ????
What are you referring to??
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline 45-110

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 04:37:49 PM »
I threw away the cheap cast iron handle and put on a nice chrome round machinery handle. Ebay has them.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 05:03:46 PM »
Woodcraft has the vise on sale for $115. If you visit the page and do not purchase they will often come back to you in a day or so and offer free shipping. Happy building!

These have been on my get list for a while. Every time the sale comes up I miss it or my tool fund was dedicated to something else. Appreciate the heads-up on the sale...I have a couple ordered.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 07:25:21 AM »
Duca:
 you were asking about those 2 wing nuts on the version from the store. Theres 1 behind that is supposed to lock it into place at various angles up/down. The other wing nut tightens the bolt onto the base that is supposed to lock into place for left/right moves. So when youre depending on it not to move, my experience is it cant hold in place routine filing/rasping torques. Sorry i have no photos to illustrate right now

Offline WonkyEye

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 08:01:18 AM »
Thanks, I've been waiting for a deal on them

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 03:18:18 PM »
Duca:
 you were asking about those 2 wing nuts on the version from the store. Theres 1 behind that is supposed to lock it into place at various angles up/down. The other wing nut tightens the bolt onto the base that is supposed to lock into place for left/right moves. So when youre depending on it not to move, my experience is it cant hold in place routine filing/rasping torques. Sorry i have no photos to illustrate right now

Your talking about the wrong vice.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 10:18:40 PM »
Two different vices being discussed here, and someone is confused between the GREEN PATEREN MAKERS VISE and the Red-Light Duty Tilting Vise.

I purchased the Red-Light Duty Tilting Vise style shown MANY years ago from Steve Wright (less than $50) and yes it does have its faults, but it is only a LIGHT DUTY vise. Mine did not have any wing screws but a large set screw which I changed out for a large cap head screw.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JasonR

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 07:13:48 AM »
My apologies for mixing them up. Mine looks quite similar to the one in the photo.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 06:47:01 AM »
Woodcraft has had and may still have the pattern makers vises on sale. Check them out ASAP. Good luck!
elkhorne

Offline aaronc

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2024, 11:42:23 PM »
Mine landed several days age...was able to get them open and mock them up real quick on my bench yesterday. Hopefully will have time to get them locked down this week.
Quality seems to be nice on first impression.

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline rayh

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024, 12:42:11 AM »
Has anyone figured how to swap the jaw towers so the front is fasten to the bench and the rear moves. My bench top is only 15 inches wide and the vise is mounted on the front edge. When I used it the gun was hanging off the front. Right now it's in storage, I'm relocating the work area and sure would like to correct  this when I set back up. Thanks for any ideas.