Author Topic: New guy looking for options  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Jamie Hurley

• Starting Member
New guy looking for options
« on: September 17, 2023, 04:42:57 AM »
Hey guys, after a trip to my wife's childhood home near Fort William Henry, I found myself with the long rifle bug.

I love the look of the Kibler Colonial kit, but would really prefer a rifle in a smaller caliber. Ideally .40  I'd go with the Southern Mountain kit, but I just don't like the stock.

Are there kits by other makers that have a similar stock styling as the Colonial rifle?

Or anyone know who currently makes the Kibler barrels? I could possibly have a .40 caliber barrel made for the Colonial rifle kit.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help and advice,

Jamie

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: New guy looking for options
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:03:57 AM »
Hi and welcome! A Kibler kit is meant for the parts it comes with. Fitting another barrel would make the job much more difficult. And a barrel that big would weigh a lot in .40. I’m guessing the gun would be over 9, maybe 9 and a half pounds.

Any early styled gun in .40 brings the same challenges that are mentioned above. It’s possible that a Cabin Creek or a Chambers York kit could be had in .40 but it’s still going to be heavy. And a heavy long gun is a big adjustment for anyone new to long rifles.  The reason it’s going to be heavy is that it’s hard to build a good looking early styled rifle with a barrel 7/8” at the breech.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 05:22:10 AM »
What are your reasons for wanting a smaller caliber? Not trying to criticize or talk you into something else, just want to understand what you’re looking for. A little explanation might help others steer you in the right direction.

Also note that the Kibler Woods Runner is available in 45. I’ve built all three Kibler models, and the Woods Runner is my favorite (mine’s .54). I’ve done a Chambers kit, one from a blank, and one from a lesser - quality kit, and I’d definitely recommend starting with a Kibler if you’re new.
David Shotwell

Offline 83nubnEC

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 05:36:43 PM »
I second the Kibler choice for a beginner. I have built all 3 of Jims' kits starting at the age of 79 with no experience and they have all turned out as beautiful guns and great shooters.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 04:48:01 AM »
In .40 caliber the Kibler SMR makes the most sense and you may find you like the stock.  Or go for a Kibler WoodsRunner in .54.  Nice rifle and great caliber.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 05:10:10 AM »
Get what you want. You can even find rifles in the white, they are just like Kibler's but come already screwed together.  Try R.E. Davis, Stonewall Creek, Chambers there is many others.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Jamie Hurley

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 06:38:23 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and input. A message from a member led me to a Jim Chambers York rifle kit, that comes in .40

An order form is in the mail.

Jamie

Offline Jamie Hurley

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 06:54:51 PM »
While I was at it, I ordered a Kibler Colonial. It was a blemished stock in .50 that they had boxed and ready to go. I received it a couple days later and have begun the process of putting it together. I'm having a blast! I know it's not that advanced of a project but I'm really taking my time with it. Want it to turn out as nice as possible and I'm really enjoying a quality fall project.

Very glad I found this community. 

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 08:42:31 PM »
Putting the Kibler together before the York will help more than you realize. It will help you quite a bit to understand how to shape and what to remove, and how a finished rifle should feel. That was my experience anyway.
David Shotwell

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 02:46:11 AM »
I’d suggest getting one of the excellent books on building a muzzle loading rifle.  That will give you an idea of what is involved in actually building one, which will give you a little advantage in building a kit gun.  If there are any clubs in your area, make an effort to make the acquaintance of some members.  Muzzleloader are always more than willing to help out a beginning shooter.
Mikeyfirelock ( who started his first one in his dorm room at college)
Mike Mullins

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 04:32:17 AM »
Why not consider a scratch build? The problem with gun kits are just that. They are kits that someone else designs and are limited to the imagination of said Designer. If you are not in a hurry, and are after a good personal weapon that you can take pride in and pass on, then I suggest getting the late Chuck Dixon's book on the Pennsylvania Longrifle. It is a really simplistic how to book on building guns that many pro builders cut their teeth on.....There are custom barrel makers like RA Hoyt that can build you any barrel you want.

Lehighs and Bucks county guns lend themselves to smaller calibers quite well. The extra effort of gathering your parts from the various custom suppliers is half the fun. Even better is knowing that the fruits of your efforts will be a one of a kind Longrifle that you can carry with pride!

The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 06:28:44 AM »
Do you have any woodworking skills? If not just get a Kibler if you want a 40 get the SMR.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine