Author Topic: Brown Bess and Charleville  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Bob Rearley

Brown Bess and Charleville
« on: September 24, 2023, 07:53:03 PM »
Is anyone aware of anyone who makes a kit version of the previously mentioned models?
Thanks, Bob

Offline JLayne

Re: Brown Bess and Charleville
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 08:59:16 PM »
Pedersoli makes them, although they are not the most historically accurate reproductions. The Rifle Shoppe I am told makes a more accurate copy kit, but they are not for novices.

Jay

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 09:22:43 PM »
 the rifle shop...

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 10:20:44 PM »
Doesn't Track have a 1st land pattern bess kit?  They used to have one, anyway, with a 1740s-something dated lock.  Don't know if "kit" is the right word, still a lot of work involved.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 01:37:25 AM »
Hi Bob,
Pedersoli makes a short land Brown Bess kit but it is not a very accurate copy.  I don' t think they sell a kit for their Charleville, which also has some historical context issues.  Track of the Wolf used to have a pretty good early pattern Bess.  It could be made into a reasonable pattern 1730 that was upgraded (which they were) with stronger trigger guard and double bridled lock.  You could make it into a passable pattern 1742.  However, they don't seem to be selling it anymore.  It appears that the only game in town for an historically accurate Bess or Charleville is the Rifle Shoppe. They sell complete component sets including stocks that are generally correct but they are not for the novice and you need to build the lock from cast parts if you ever want to get the components without a very long delay.  For a Brown Bess (King's Pattern' musket) this video may help you figure things out.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 05:24:54 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your prompt response.  I have built a couple of Jim Chambers guns and I am presently building a Sheetz from a plank so I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to create one of these things.  I have a friend who has a desire to own a Brown Bess to carry as a member of a SAR color guard.  He also wants to be able to shoot the gun.
I did find your presentation very informative Smart Dog. Thanks to all, Bob

Offline runastav

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 05:55:33 PM »
Hi all! I build a BB with a Swedish barrel here:https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=44159.msg432045#msg432045 Obs, where are the photos?
Smart Dog (Kloke hund) that presentasjon in the video was greate!
Runar