Author Topic: Finished my fence post.  (Read 16183 times)

Dave Waters

Re: Finished my fence post.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Absolutely out standing.  :o

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
I'd like to jump in on this one more time. You are a great engraver, probably too good for honest colonial/American work. You're ready to jump into some english stuff in my opinion. Practice some english shell carving at the breech and english archetecture and you'll be ready to really nail the british stuff. You got more than 1/2 the battle won there with the quality of your engraving.
 There are some areas that bother me, probably more so because our styles differ so. The finish is too shiney for me, maybe a pumice rub back would do some good. There may be a little extra wood in the buttstock for a gun of this late-ish period....where the wrist meets the nose might have been scooped out a bit more. Your carving may be flat, not un heard of on originals of the period, but you engraving is so  !@*%&@ good it makes it unbalanced. At any rate, it's a !@*%&@ good gun. How many have you built?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 02:10:51 AM »
It may not flow or be ballanced or any of the thing you kik yourself for but your gun is still outstanding in so many respects. The workmanship is IMHO outstanding. I enjoy looking at it.   Smylee

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 03:20:29 AM »
Dave, 

I like your rifle.  Like others have pointed out, the stock has some issues that are attributed primarily to beginning builders.  Lord knows I made all those mistakes.  I'm betting that's because the rifle was started a while ago.  I would also bet, based on your carving, and especially engraving, you'd address any of those issues in a new project.

I'd love to see you undertake an English Fowler, or English Sporting Rifle, maybe a Jager.  Your engraving is awesome, and would compliment a piece like that.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Thanks for posting!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 03:59:33 AM »
Mike,

What engraving I know I learned from Jerry Huddleston, so I had a good start on that front.  I am collecting parts for a rosewood stocked English style half stock rifle, so I will give your recommendation a try, hopefully soon.  I do need more carving practice first as well.  I recently tracked down Steven Alexander who built an English style rifle I saw in an advertisement photo 25 years ago.  I have had the ad photo above my work bench all these years and will endeavor to make something remotely in the same class as Steven's rifle.

You are spot on about the stock finish.  I have been experimenting for quite some time with a myriad of commercial finishes and several leaded linseed oil blends I have been making in small batches.  I haven't hit on anything I really like yet except for a finish I bought back in 1971 from the Crane Creek Company.  (No longer in business but I have one can left that I am having chemically analyzed by a friend of mine.)  This rifle was finished with Lee Valley polymerized Tung Oil sealer.  It was not so shiney until I put on the last rub down and then I realized I went too far.  Although I have always listened to the debates about varnish / oil, shiney / dull, fast finish, slow finish, etc., without being any smarter for all my efforts, I will probably rub it back at some point.  What do you use to finish your stocks?

As far as the extra wood at the wrist, the huge disadvantage for me, out here in the Peoples Republic of California, is that I don't know anywhere I can go to see originals.  Without seeing and handling, it is really hard to be intimate with the architecture of a well made rifle from pictures and verbal descriptions.  But I get your point.

This is actually my 5th rifle, although I consider it the first in my "modern" era.  The first two I scratch built in high school in the late 1960s based on what details I could see in 2 inch square black and white photos in a Dixie Gun Works catalog.  I still have the rifles, they shoot great, but they look like $#*!.  The next two were built when I was a Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy in the 1970s.  (Not allowed to build guns in your room there so I had to hide all the parts and tools in an elevator machinery room !)  They are a matched set for my father and I, built from pictures I had in a Golden Age Arms catalog...not much bigger or better than the Dixie pictures.  They are much better rifles, with home made locks, but still not up to any standards you would recognize.  Then I started this one (#5) 30 years later...and then stopped almost immediately when I found this site because I found I was on the wrong path again.  While waiting (and reading) to get smart enough to build another "good" long rifle, I put together a couple of pistols, a 4 gage blunderbuss, and a Ferguson.

I still work full time as an aerospace engineer, so I don't have the time I would like to devote to getting better at this, but, that's life.  All the more reason that I do very much appreciate the time many of you spend in explaining how and why you build these lovely rifles the way you do to novices like me.  

One of the older space engineers I began working with when I first got out of the Navy used to call the space craft we built "magnificent machines of exploration".  I have often thought of these long rifles, in their era, as magnificent machines of exploration.  Certainly no 17th, 18th, or 19th century explorer went off on a journey of discovery without a rifle he could trust.

Ed;

You and I were typing at the same time.  Thanks for the encouragement.  I will attempt to address the stock issues...the hard part is being smart enough to recognize what the issues are.  That's where the advice I get here is invaluable.

dave C

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:29:09 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »
I'm no expert and therefore cannot offer any advice or critique on your work.

I do however know a beautiful piece of craftsmanship when I see one.

That being said I think you did an excellent job on this rifle.  :)

By the way, what lumber store did you get that fence post from ?  ;D

Scout
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:31:22 AM by Ole Scout »
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

docone

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
Every time this thread comes around, I have to look. I am not sure if it is as good as I think, but, WOW.
I just got a 5" Engravers Ball today. Used, and I have little time to practice, but I am psyched!
I have the Foredom Stone Setting set up,
http://www.stuller.com/products/34-2250/?groupId=17760
Just a small matter to get a square graver and start practice! I even have faceting machines to sharpen with.
I will probably start with the Mike Brooks CD on engraving I have.
That is an inspiring rifle. I love it.
Well done.

westerner

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 05:40:02 AM »
The best way to take the new shine off that rifle is to use it and use it a lot.  I could do that for you. No problem at all, in fact I would feel a great privilege had been bestowed upon me if I was called on to do so.  I am at your service.

Joe 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
I have always admired a good fence post.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
 Most times I dont give guns with this much decoration a second look. Im a plain working poor mans gun kind of guy after all, Im a redneck BUT this one I do like. To me its got the fancy but usable look to it. Lots of time put into it. You have talent my friend ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

azdave

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »
Dave,
   Having put in miles of fence post and cut tons of firewood I can give you an expert opinion. That is a nice rifle! love the engraving. I am fortunate to own several nice old English hammer double shotguns.   I agree with the gentlemen here that your style would due justice to English fowler or Rigby English sporting rifle. Look forward to seeing your next fence post.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
As to the self-critique: yes, that's exactly what it takes to push man from craftsman to artist.  As my pal Richie says (a master of his trade) "Imperfection is Perfection". Which reflects the drive of the perfectionist in those who create the finest works.  And the knowing that if _everything_ went perfectly on a particular piece and it were _perfect_ then there'd be no way to top that, but that all the little imperfections (even if only in the maker's eye) are what give each piece full character and allow the master to continue to seek perfection.

Critical exchange is what it takes to "tune up" the works.  I'm too old for school, but keep learnin' every day.

Great gun, good inspiration, thanks for sharing and all for the discussion.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Love the engraving.
Gene

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:13 AM »
You built a fine, fine gun. The receipient is one lucky fellow! The engraving bestowed on the metal is in a class by itself; truly inspired. Then, too, the Beck/Sherry style of carving behind the cheek rest is pretty fine also. Note that you are a west coaster; I'm a little further south of you, but out here too. Keep up the good work. Let us know how he likes it.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2023, 02:58:15 PM »
This work deserves another go around
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2023, 03:36:17 PM »
DaveC2

Your engraving is some of the most attractive I have seen. it has an "Old fashioned" look to it. its like looking at history.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2023, 05:26:03 PM »
Dave thank you for sharing this work. You always have shown that you are a talented builder and engraver and this work is just another example. It's hard to compare Colonial work to todays work. You and a few others on this site do very exacting work and there is nothing wrong with that and it has it's place in the ever evolving and continuing Long Rifle Culture. We builders are our own worse critiques, I know I have never been totally happy with any rifle I have ever built. This rifle may have flaws in your eyes but from the appearance it looks to be a quality firearm, at the end of the day if it shoots and functions as it should then be happy with a job well done.

The old school makers did beautiful work and we admire and drool over them. Very few did work that is as exacting as this work, yet we love their product. Once you really step away from trying to recreate an original work style then we tend to lose a little of the things that make the old work appeal to us. I find it's the little things that not not perfect in the old work that appeals to me. The evidence of tool marks in the wood and metal, some parts not fit perfectly, the variance of how things are done in the building process.

Modern builders are striving for perfection and one upmanship and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it is needed for the culture to grow. We just need to remember to where we started from and never get so good to appreciate where we came from on our way to where we are going.

Again, fabulous work and you should be very proud of it, but don't ever stop trying to do a better job on the next one. Thanks for sharing.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline aaronc

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2023, 05:47:10 PM »

Impressive design and execution....I've enjoyed the view.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2023, 05:56:17 PM »
Great rifle,,,"………..this post is 11 years old.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2023, 07:21:29 AM »
Thank you all again for the constructive critique and kind words (past and present).  I was more than a little shocked to see this old post pop up again...I had forgotten I built this one.  Since 2012 it has resided with my brother-in-law in St. Louis.  I was visiting there not too long ago and saw the rifle in person for the first time in many years.  Not bad, but it really didn't look any better to me now than it did when I made it more than a decade ago.  I have learned a lot along the way from the members of this board over that period of time.....several of whom have, sadly, passed away since this original post was made... (Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris).   

I thank you all again for the help, encouragement, advice, great ideas, and inspiration to keep at it.

Best,

David
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 07:18:37 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780