Author Topic: Putting choke tubes in my swivel breach gun.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Putting choke tubes in my swivel breach gun.
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:17:22 PM »
I sent two new 54 cal. smooth bore barrels to a company named Briley in Houston Tx. to have them fitted for choke tubes.  What I got back was two modify, two full, two extra full choke, and a coned tube for ease in loading.  I immediately joined the barrels together, and fit them to one of my finished swivel breach guns.  They did a wonderful Job and I am more than satisfied.

Using the modified choke, I first shot a round ball and adjusted the sights on both barrels.

I then put the super tight chock tube in.  My load was 65 grs. of FFG and a 100 grain  powder,  measure ( by volume) of 7 1/2 lead shot'.  The wadding was two thin felt wads, and on top of it all a chunk of wasps nest.

I also shot at an empty baked bean can to test for penetration at 25 yds.

The next to last  pictures show how to load using the tubes. You must use the loading tube so that the wads will go in.  It is also necessary to use the loading tube when cleaning after shooting.

Offline Daryl

Re: Putting choke tubes in my swivel breach gun.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 10:25:29 PM »
Interesting  David.
I've oft times wondered about that screw-in choke tubes on a ML gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 02:34:20 PM »
Now that’s cool!
Eat Beef

Online alacran

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 04:00:45 PM »
Briley is the top company doing this. They have done thousands for modern shotguns as well as full sized tube inserts.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline David G

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 05:21:06 PM »
Slick David ! Can you explain the details on the specs for the loading tube ? Im not clear at all on how the inside dimensions of the tube are set up for loading. I assume part of the tube is cylinder bore ? Thanks.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 11:23:34 PM »
David,
Inside the barrel is milled out the same length as the tube, just big enough for the tube to slide in, leaving a little step at the bottom.  The very muzzle end of the barrel is threaded for the front end of the tube.  When the tube is screwed in tight it bottoms out against that little step, and the inside of the tube matches the inside of the bore perfectly.   The forward end of the tube is choked.  The loading tube fits the same but it sticks out about a half inch.  Instead of being choked it is coned which makes it easy to put the wadding in.

I hope I made that clear.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 09:55:35 PM »
The loading/cleaning tube keeps garbage out of the threads and prevents thread damage, makes loading a world easier too as loading through a constriction choke is not easy if not impossible when you get to Full or more.

Did you get their choke wrench with the fishing reel handle on it?  Worth the price if you didn't. 

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 04:03:22 PM »
HSmith TX

No I didn't even know there was one.  I will definitely call them and order one.  I thought about using my cordless drill but I was afraid I wouldn't have enough Controle and spoil the threads.  If you are shooting at the range and doing a lot of shooting it is a pain in the but, but when turkey hunting you only have to load once, or in my case twice.

Thanks for the information.

David Price

Offline David G

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 04:50:31 PM »
Thanks David…that cleared it up.

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 10:12:53 PM »
You're welcome David, when I was shooting a shotgun a lot I used this  https://www.briley.com/c-446-choke-wrenches.aspx  a lot. Beats the britches off  anything  else I have ever seen.