Author Topic: Info needed on Stressproof 1144 steel.  (Read 689 times)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Info needed on Stressproof 1144 steel.
« on: October 02, 2023, 09:06:56 PM »
This topic is for Bob Roller or any other person that has worked with Stressproof 1144 steel. I need to make a tumbler for a musket, and I ran out of O-1 which I normally use for making tumblers. I decided to use 1144 Stressproof steel this time because Bob Roller has touted its properties here. I put in an order for the steel from McMaster-Carr and it should be here in a few days. What I need to know from those of you "in the know" - is how to go about the hardening and tempering this tumbler made with 1144 Stressproof steel. I do hardening & tempering O-1 and spring steel very well with no issues. I have a gas forge, O-A torch outfit, Mapp gas, & a propane turbo-torch so I have the heat. What I need is the technical information on the process and temperatures. Thanks for your help -- :)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline 45dash100

Re: Info needed on Stressproof 1144 steel.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 09:58:04 PM »
Because I was curious, I looked up this steel.  Found the below link.  There's also a bunch of links at the bottom to different hardening and tempering specs with the corresponding changes in properties.

https://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=8d6ade8ea568485ba16920d5c129bbe3&ckck=1

But, info from someone who actually does this might be more useful to you.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »
Here is the way I do a tumbler made from 1144 "StressProof".Once the tumbler IS shaped,install it in the lock and function test it.If it works as it should.take it out and heat it to a bright orange and quench in oil.My quench is some very old oi drained from Diesel motors from a long gone city bus company*.Use a magnet and get it out and clean and polish it,all surfaces including the 2 notches.Using a Bernzomatic I draw it to a straw color and let it air cool.This material has proven,at least to me that it works well for this application and is easy to use because it machines like 12L14 or Ledloy.
*This old oil was given to e by George Killen in 1977 shortly before he passed away.He was a gunsmith and WW1 veteran.I have maybe a
coffee can 3/4 full now.Let us know how this works for you.As I said,my locks are spread out across Germany and other parts of Europe and nothing reported so far.
Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 12:59:20 AM »
Thanks Bob - this is the info I was looking for. I know there are a LOT of "armchair commandos" out there, but I wanted someone that has a proven track record with this material. I purchased one foot of it so I will have extra if I need it for something else. I have motor oil, veggie oil and some canola oil to try. I also have some ATF to try as I have use it to quench spring steel in. Thanks again ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb