Author Topic: Sights again  (Read 1066 times)

Offline hortonstn

Sights again
« on: September 28, 2023, 02:36:02 AM »
I've built many flintlocks with swamped barrels and always had a hard time with getting the sights
To the proper height. What is the trick I'm getting old and would really like to know.

Offline Daryl

Re: Sights again
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 02:46:20 AM »
Measure from the middle of the bore for needed height. That is usually (should be) the middle of the side flat.
Equal height of rear and front sight to start.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
Measure from the middle of the bore for needed height. That is usually (should be) the middle of the side flat.
Equal height of rear and front sight to start.

What Daryl said.  Works well for me as a tarting point!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 02:29:58 PM »
Insert a tight fitting dowel into your bore.  Lay your rifle on a piece of packing paper.  Draw a line at the top of the dowel.  Make a horizontal tick mark where your rear sight will be and a vertical tick mark where your front sight will be.  Remove your rifle.  Extend the dowel line just past the rear sight mark.  Then extend the rear sight mark parallel to the dowel line until it crosses your vertical front sight mark.  You now have all the informatton needed to make your sight measurements.  Ce n'est pas?

For all the guys who are big on making a set of exact blueprints before they build a gun,  of which I am not one, this should have already been done.

**in retrospect, you can do it with the barrel alone if that is more convenient.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 12:12:38 AM »
I figure it as close as possible. Then make the front sight taller than needed and file it down when sighting the rifle. Thats the best method I've found for me making sights for a swamped barrel. Of course this is done after finding the absolute best load for the rifle.
American horses of Arabian descent.