Author Topic: Maryland Early MZ 2023  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Maryland Early MZ 2023
« on: October 22, 2023, 02:59:57 AM »
Was a long, tough 3 days of our October muzzleloader season here for me.  First day drove a half hour south, then paddled the kayak 45 minutes way out in the marsh to a small creek crossing for sika - only to find somebody in a Whaler with a 12' tripod on the bow.  Got to a different spot, but the boat motors shut that place down hard for the morning, ya gotta sneak on them marsh ghosts!  Hunted at home the rest of the season, third morning before I even saw the first deer.  8:45AM today finally saw movement coming through the oaks and beeches, from the black body I knew instantly it was a sika stag.  25 yard shot, dropped him where he stood.  They have a hard time with a .648 roundball!  Not one of the monsters I have on camera in night pics, but a very welcome stag to fill the MZ tag on the last day.

Rifle is my 16ga/.66 rifled early Germanic style, Rice early dutch bbl, Chambers lock, plank build, 90 gr FF Goex pushing a .648 ball with heavy cotton duck patching.  Bag is from Speedy Hogarth (fellow Choptank club member, was one of his personal bags) horn is a special one from Carl Dumke.

"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Online smylee grouch

Re: Maryland Early MZ 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 04:17:34 AM »
Nice Stag and rifle. ;) have you ever clocked that load to see how fast the MV is?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »
Nice stag. I like your gun. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 12:36:18 PM »
Nice Stag and rifle. ;) have you ever clocked that load to see how fast the MV is?

No, but a Mack truck doesn't have to be going fast to kill ya!

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 04:12:20 PM »
Nice deer and photo. Congratulations!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 09:28:58 PM »
Really like the rifle and rig, and everything in the photos.  Have plans to build me another German rifle too....58 cal 38" barrel from Barbie, hardware from Mike Brooks, Chambers' Germanic lock and a superlative plank of loud curly maple.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 11:07:31 PM »
Very nice stag. I was very good friends with Speedy and we were founding members of the Patuxents but haven't seen him in decades. I'm not in the hobby anymore. I also hunt Dorchester, around Crapo. Say hi to him if you see him (Richard Carl).

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
The rifle is a beaut!  Congratulations on a fine sika.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 01:13:37 AM »
Very nice stag. I was very good friends with Speedy and we were founding members of the Patuxents but haven't seen him in decades. I'm not in the hobby anymore. I also hunt Dorchester, around Crapo. Say hi to him if you see him (Richard Carl).

I have heard stories of the Patuxents!!!  Not sure when I'll see him again, he only gets to one or two matches a year, and we are currently out of service looking for a new range - lost our old place of 30+ years this fall.  And I know Crapo well, just a bit south of my place. 

Offline Bushfire

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 12:05:00 AM »
Beautiful gun and great hunting.