Author Topic: Experiments with tinder fungus  (Read 852 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Experiments with tinder fungus
« on: October 28, 2023, 04:39:28 PM »
My experiment in historical archaeology! I cut the Birch Polypore (a different species from true Tinder Fungus or Chaga) into 1/4" thick slices, dried it, the removed that hard brownish cap material. The white fleshy part feels like leathery rubber, maybe cork-like is a more apt description. I soaked the 2 smaller pieces in a black powder slurry to nitrate it, but I don't think I really need to … I have a funny suspicion those will go up in a WHOOSH and not sit and smolder!

It already burns to a coal head REALLY well! And that burning head was HOT! I had to tell my wife, "Take the picture ... and FAST!"

I'll be test shooting it with my circa ~1515 Snaplock 58-cal carbine on Sunday!

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Experiments with tinder fungus
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 05:32:15 PM »
Well done Flint!

you have to be careful putting these out with your finger!
I love the Swedish name for these tinderlocks;
Swamples Lit!

"Mushroom lock"!!

I have one in my head that Has to be made. It is inlaid with mushrooms!!

Sort of like the Tusco-Emilian of Michael's I copied, but not Exactly..
Keep up the good work my friend!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 06:16:16 PM »
Nice! I’ve got lots of chaga but have not tried this fungus. Does it catch a spark from flint and steel?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
Could you explain what you're doing with it? Using it like a match for a matchlock, or for tinder to start flint and steel fires? I'm confused.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 06:50:57 PM »
Could you explain what you're doing with it? Using it like a match for a matchlock, or for tinder to start flint and steel fires? I'm confused.
Prior to matchlocks being lit by ‘matchcord’ or quite simply nitrated rope or cord, they used pieces of tinder fungus to shoot (ignition) the gun. One man in the troop would have a piece of lit ‘something’ and the other guys would grab their little pieces of tinder, light it, stick it in the serpentine, or stick it and then have the other trooper light it, to then fire the gun.

This is an example of a 1515 snap or tinder lock arm. Matchcord is shown in the photo, but only for the photo op, haha, but tinder was really used. A Japanese Tanegashima is another example of a snaplock.

All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 07:08:24 PM »
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing and educating 😁

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 08:14:16 PM »
ah. Very cool. I have a later period English matchlock, but I didn't realize the early ones used fungus.
Learning every day.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 06:48:25 PM »
Justin,
The early snap -locks were called just that, snaplock or tinder lock.
As Dale says, the tinder was a one shot deal most likely, renewed after each shot.
I believe that the normal practice was to carry a thick matchcord, very often wound aroundnthe left arm, and lit.
This was used to light the tinder.
Early locks (1500-1520-40) were very small, and would not take a thick matchcord.

Rich,
No, the intent of the tinder in this case was not to take a spark.  It has to be lit, and holds a good very hot cone-shaped coal  for igniting the pan powder.

In this detail from the battle of Pavia, (1525) you see both the tinder And the matchcord used to light it.

I must just add that I believe each individual would carry his own matchcord for lighting tinder.
This is apparently the conclusion  Michael's research lead him to.
Logically, in a battle I can't really imagine being without a personal source to light my tinder. No time to scurry around looking for the bloke with the matchcord.

"Where's Albert?!"..............."Oh, he got chopped!" .............".I guess were all screwed then!"   kind of thing.    :-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 07:02:20 PM by Pukka Bundook »