Author Topic: R. Sells on the Blog  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
R. Sells on the Blog
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
Roger,
Beautiful rifle on the blog this morning.  The hardware is great.  Really nice piece.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline rsells

Re: R. Sells on the Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:52:27 AM »
Ken,
Thanks, it is a .29 cal. rifle that I built for myself for squirrel hunting, and is a bunch of fun to shoot.
                                                                       Roger Sells

Sean

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »
Heck of a nice rifle.

Sean

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:29:28 AM »
Great rifle Roger- what a great caliber! I really like the pewter nose cap.  You need to send copies of those photos to Sam!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 06:03:24 AM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:07:01 AM »
Roger,
I got to ask.  How did you arrive at a .29 cal?  Can't say I have run across anyone shooting one.  That might be enough reason alone.  hahaha  No one else has one. 
Great gun with lots of style.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

eagle24

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:05:07 AM »
Cool rifle Roger!  Very nice indeed and should be a great caliber for sqwerls.  I kinda like less common calibers too.  Had Ed Rayl make me a .47 to have something different.  Have to ask about the butt plate.  Does it have any crown across the butt part or is it flat?  I'm using one that is flat on a rifle I am just starting.

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:21:19 AM »
Ken,
I was looking for a small diameter (.40 cal 13/16) barrel 44 inches long to make a slim mountain rifle similar to an original I own, and Tip Curtis didn't have any barrels that long unless I used a swamped barrel.  Finally, he looked in his stash and pulled out this 3/4 .29 cal 44 inch barrel made on the tooling Rex Maxey used to build his barrels.  At an earlier time, a fellow named Bill Deroset use to beat me at every match we shot at just by a couple points using one of Rex's .29 barrels.  This thought convinced me to buy the barrel and make a squirrel rifle. 

Mr Hall,
The cresent portion of the butt plate has a radius going across it.  It does flatten out down toward the toe, which makes it easier to fit the toe plate against the butt plate.  The original rifle had a pin going through the toe plate and butt plate, but I can't make myself do that.  The toe is much too fragile, and at my age I screw up enough things that are simple without doing something that is on the edge!!!

Roger Sells

David G

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
Roger, dandy little rifle! I especially like the lock and wrist area, nice job.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
Roger, I'm really impressed that you can get such great architecture with such a skinny barrel.  And can you tell me if your finishing is a little over the top for a Southern Rifle?  Were they finished up so cleanly as yours?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
I had to cut down the height of the lock plate quite a bit to get the look I was looking for through the wrist.  I think the hardest part building this rifle was getting the profile of the forearm looking right using a 3/4 barrel and 1/4 inch ramrod.  It worked out great, but I had to sneak up on it and down size everything to get it to look like I wanted.  It would have been an easier build if I had used a 7/8 x 44 inch .40 cal I have in the shop that would exactly match the original rifle, but I wanted to build a small cal squirrel rifle.

The inlet fits are not as tight on the original rifle, and the lines were not as straight on the original rifle verses my finished product.  However, the original is over 150 years old and I don't know how it looked when new.  I have two other original mountain rifles, and the inlet fits on these rifles are not as tight, but the lines are straight and crisp.  However, I don't know how they looked before the rifles were used for many years of service.  I am sure that there were gunsmiths working in the early days that had inlet fits similar and better than my rifle.  I know they were doing the work to make a living and may have worked a bit faster than I do when I work.  Our goals may have been slightly different depending upon the circumstances.

I think all of us who build rifles will agree that we set standards for our own work, and we continue to try to make that perfect rifle with no flaws.  I have yet to meet that goal.  I use the same standards on each rifle I build (Southern, Virginia, Bedford, or Hawken).  I do try to improve my fit and finish on each rifle, but I think my work is starting to decline a bit due to the issues we face when we get older (such as eye sight).  I know I have looked at some of the rifles I made in the 80's, and I sometimes wonder how I accomplished the work.  I know it takes about three times longer for me to make a plain southern rifle now verses when I first started.  I have to put more time into doing the jobs associated with building a rifle to get similar results.  My main goal pertaining to building rifles is to make a quality rifle that will serve its owner well through the test of time, and hopefully someone will be trying to collect my work 150 years down the road.

Roger Sells
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:28:46 PM by rsells »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
Roger that is a neat little rifle and my eyes have just started to go the past few years. So I understand that part of building all too well. Did you make all your hardware.  I also realy like the bag and horn that was in the photo. Do you mind giving the deminsions of both and do you know where it came from?
 B Barker

Offline rsells

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
Mr. Barker,
I usually make all the hardware for my mountain rifles, but I used one of Myron Carlson's butt plates I had been keeping just because Myron had made it.  I decided to use it because I was building the rifle for myself, and it is very close to the original butt plate used on the W.D. rifle.  I shortened the height from heel to toe, flattened the cresent, and narrowed the back of the plate to better match the original.  I made the trigger guard, thembles, side plate, toe plate, and rear sight.  I used a purchased front sight.  The original rifle had a unique brass base and silver blade double dove tail front sight.  I didn't have it in my heart to make a copy of the front sight.

The bag and horn are originals that I found just outside of St. Louis.  I don't know who made them or where they originated.  I have had them approximately 40 years now and have copied it a couple of times over the years.

Roger Sells