Author Topic: Returnee, lost all data after flashing BIOS. Hawken complete.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Jim

• Starting Member
Returnee, lost all data after flashing BIOS. Hawken complete.
« on: August 26, 2024, 07:03:46 PM »
 The Investarms Hawken is complete and proof fired.
  Now a cleaning question, the breech end doesn't seem to be a flat surface, there's a rim and a depression. Are there any tools that address this area, like a small scraper? As it is, it looks like a bullseye at the bottom of the barrel. Clean ring around a blackened middle. 
 I think the name I used before the PC meltdown was Target or Trgt.

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Returnee, lost all data after flashing BIOS. Hawken complete.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 08:08:04 PM »
You could use a small lump of clay on the tip of your ramrod to make an impression of the end of the breech plug.  Just be sure to liberally oil the interior of your barrel so the clay doesn't stick to the plug.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 08:12:45 PM »
If you remove the barrel for cleaning, dunking the breech into cool or cold water, then flush it up and down, it doesn't matter the breech shape. It will clean up perfectly.
Since a " Hawken" the barrel keys and hooked breech allow easy fast cleaning with 6 patches total. One for cleaning, 4 for drying and one for flushing WD40, then wiping down. That's how I do it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 08:17:23 PM »
There's a 3/8" hole down the center of the breech plug and the flash channel is drilled into it.  Suggest you get a plastic bore brush of ,36 cal. to clean it.  I say plastic instead of bronze because because if the bronze one ever got stuck it's almost impossible to remove.  With the plastic one, you can heat the breech plug and melt it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 10:56:11 PM »
You can use a thin cleaning patch around that plastic brush or a slotted jag with patch in the slot to clean or dry that chamber .Plain water flush is what I use also . Dry patches pumped up and down after cleaning will dry out the bore and then I use WD 40. Its worked well for me for 40+ years.

Offline Jim

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 02:58:25 AM »
 I have tried the old bath tub method, but the crud is solid. I'll try the .36 brush next, it may get the edges, but I can't see it getting the face, or bottom of the hole.
  I have an idea of a scraper to fit the smaller hole. I have an old worn (patch retriever) that has shed it's barbs, I found that the diameter of the worn is the same as the hole diameter. Perhaps a tad smaller as I was able to clean some of the filth using the barbless worm as a patch jag.  There's the beginning of a slot where the barbs were attached and, with a little dremel work, it can be opened up a bit for a thin piece of steel, (1/8th of an inch) to be used as a blade. Might not use a Dremel though, I think slow and steady might be better for this small work.

Not having done much soldering, the body of the worn is brass and the blade being steel is silver solder recommended?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 03:46:27 AM »
I have tried the old bath tub method, but the crud is solid.
all you need is a coffee can full of water,  Immerse the barrel in the water and pour about 6" of water down the barrel.  Lean it against something and let it work for a day to soften the crud.  Then plunge it out as usual with some patches.  Leave the barrel in the can while doing this.  It will suck liquid back into the barrel and then force it back out again.  Once it's clean, you should be able to repeat the process every time you clean.  also, if you are using bore butter or other waxy lube, it will cause build-up in the breech.  Remember that every time you load, you are forcing crud back into the breech plug.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 04:07:38 AM »
Good catch on the wax $#@*.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2024, 04:37:21 AM »
I have heard that carb or break cleaner will clean that brown or had gunk out. Once cleaned don't use that junk any more and like TOF said pumping water back and forth will do a good job of cleaning .