Author Topic: Evaporust for removing rust?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Evaporust for removing rust?
« on: November 26, 2023, 08:11:05 PM »
Have you guys used Evaporust to remove rust  from antiques? I don't want to hurt anything.  Thanks.

Offline Scota4570

Re: Evaporust for removing rust?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 08:56:32 PM »
Antique what??  I would not use it or any chemical remover on an antique gun of value. 

For tools, rusty parts, guns parts with no historic value, absolutely.  Evaporust is the best thing I have found.  It does not bother the base metal at all, do etching or alterations to the original finish texture.  When I can I use it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner.

For blued gun parts that have rust and a finish remains, boil them in water.  The rust will become much softer and will be easily removed with steel wool of a carding brush.  It may take a couple of passes.  You are converting the rust to rust blue.  I recently did a rusty crusty 100 year old pistol that way.  I boiled all of the parts on the stove top for a while then cleaned as normal.  I looked really nice after. 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
Excellent advice. I hadn't thought of boiling it. You'll see the gun I'm looking at cleaning up in the antique guns section on here. It's an antique piece, but not super valuable.  I'm going to clean it up and turn it into a shooter.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 09:40:43 PM »
I just pulled a bunch of gun lock, and furniture out of an Evapo-rust bath. The parts were stored in close proximity to some dry tannic acid. Oh boy does that ever make rust where you don’t want it. I through the locks and parts in a tannic acid bath and promptly forgot them. They soaked for about four days. They ended up with a black oxide like coating, but the metal was not etched at all, and the black came off easily.

Hungry Horse

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 11:19:39 PM »
I just cleaned up 9 older traps that were covered in thick flakey rust.
The evaporust turned them black but I need to boil them still so I’m not sure if the color is permanent. It cleaned them up wonderfully. Can’t complain except for the high price.
T.Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 12:23:56 AM »
Boiling in tap water, depending on your water, may not convert the rust and remaining finish to blue.  It will soften the rust.  It does no severe damage as a chemical or abrasive process will.  IF you don't like the result get more aggressive later. On an old gun I have learned to tread lightly.  The boiling trick leaves a plausible finish.  Rather than trying to re-create a plausible finish later I find it works better not to destroy it in the first place. 

Mark Novack explains it well in his youtube videos. 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 01:26:01 AM »
how long do you boil the parts? Just regular water?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 03:27:20 AM »
I generally go about 20 minuets or more.  Yes regular tap water, unless you want blue then use distilled. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 05:51:07 PM »
Caustic soda,(lye)   will clean antique parts with no damage to finish or coulour.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 12:47:54 AM »
What ratio of lye to water do you use? I have lots, because the wife makes soap.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 02:13:00 AM »
Caustic soda,(lye)   will clean antique parts with no damage to finish or coulour.

It will remove patina (dirt, grease etc.).  We generally try to preserve this over here.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 02:15:45 AM »
If you’re wondering about the pistol you acquired, I would just leave it alone.

Offline Crow Creek

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »
I have soaked several firearms in Evaporust and it cleans them very well, removing all rust and blueing. I have not noticed any damage. I wash the parts with hot water and a very fine scotch bright and /or stiff nylon brush with very little pressure. The stuff works great.
TC
Tom

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever . . .

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 05:19:05 PM »
Justin,
If you read down this thread, you will see my notes on caustic.
The only thing caustic removes, is organic matter, that attaches rust to metal, like old oil.
I use it all the time on clogged up rusted antique gun parts.

All the best,
Richard.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=78974.msg779617;boardseen#new