Author Topic: Jagdtasche ready for strap  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Jagdtasche ready for strap
« on: December 31, 2023, 07:42:46 PM »
Kerry Masarik wove a sling for my Jaeger and is making a matching strap for the Jagdtasche that I just completed. Her work is extraordinary and the Jaeger straps that she makes are reproductions of an original strap supplied by Ron Scott. The sling can be seen in the first photo.

The bag trim is leather I tanned from coho salmon skins that my wife caught last year in Alaska and the deer legs are from friend Yote Robertson’s white tail he took in Montana last year with an flintlock English sporting rifle that I built.

Dennis Daigger

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 07:57:17 PM by Dennis Daigger »

Offline Daryl

Re: Jagdtasche ready for strap
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 08:16:21 PM »
That's QUITE a bag, Dennis. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:05:05 PM »
Very nice Dennis, very well done.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 02:32:32 AM »
Ja! Ausgezeichnet handwerkskunst.

Bob Roller 

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 03:01:28 AM »
Very fine bag, thank you for sharing.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 03:05:09 AM »
Very nice work.  In your study, what time frame would you give to a double ringed bag of this style?

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 12:14:48 PM »
Indeed a very nice bag, well done
Hawkeye

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 06:09:20 PM »
Very nice work.  In your study, what time frame would you give to a double ringed bag of this style?
Thanks folks for the positive feedback.

James-What I know about the history of the German bags could fit in a tea cup and comes from two sources. The first is the great interview from Contemporary Makers by Eric Ewing that you, Eric Fleischer, Ron Scott and Steve Radosevich participated in. For those unfamiliar with this blog post but interested, here is the link. https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2016/05/jagdtaschen-game-bags-by-eric-ewing.html

The second source of information is the 1908 repo catalog of German hunting gear which has nine pages of bags with illustrations. Translations of the German descriptions provide clues about materials, sizes and finishes. I studied these bags and then wandered off and constructed what came to mind with the materials that I had at hand. I’m sure the Germans never used salmon leather for anything. Too, the two-tone finish that I did is probably unique. Anyway, from the blog interviews it seems that there is little definitive information about when bag features evolved but that the general appearance and styles probably were quite early and endured pretty much unchanged well into the cartridge era.

As with other muzzleloading accessories that I have made that have little written history available I remain blissfully ignorant about a lot of details and simply follow my instincts and make what ever comes to mind.
Dennis

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 07:55:56 PM »
Great bag, interesting details, nice colors, love it

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 10:52:59 PM »
Thanks folks for the positive feedback.

James-What I know about the history of the German bags could fit in a tea cup and comes from two sources. The first is the great interview from Contemporary Makers by Eric Ewing that you, Eric Fleischer, Ron Scott and Steve Radosevich participated in. For those unfamiliar with this blog post but interested, here is the link. https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2016/05/jagdtaschen-game-bags-by-eric-ewing.html

The second source of information is the 1908 repo catalog of German hunting gear which has nine pages of bags with illustrations. Translations of the German descriptions provide clues about materials, sizes and finishes. I studied these bags and then wandered off and constructed what came to mind with the materials that I had at hand. I’m sure the Germans never used salmon leather for anything. Too, the two-tone finish that I did is probably unique. Anyway, from the blog interviews it seems that there is little definitive information about when bag features evolved but that the general appearance and styles probably were quite early and endured pretty much unchanged well into the cartridge era.

As with other muzzleloading accessories that I have made that have little written history available I remain blissfully ignorant about a lot of details and simply follow my instincts and make what ever comes to mind.
Dennis

Well it looks darn nice.
There are a few of us still on the lookout for the earliest reference, painting or original with real provenance that would set it way back in time. Always hoping for some possible new information from others.  So far I have found a pretty early example that shows at least one ring and a buckle. I have also seen a few original bags done that way that seem to use a fairly old style buckle design.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:52:27 PM »
Nice looking work Dennis!

Offline TDM

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 07:22:11 PM »
Very fine workmanship. Well done.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 03:01:21 AM »
Really fast turnaround from Kerry and the bag is done.

Dennis

Offline Jakob

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 09:03:55 AM »
Very nice. Is that Kerry from Horn and Fiber?

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 12:39:32 AM »
Very nice. Is that Kerry from Horn and Fiber?
Yes, Kerry Masarik of Horn and Fiber. Her horn straps are also beautiful. My bag strap and sling are linen but she works in a range of fibers and combinations which can be seen on her Instragram account, Horns and Fiber.

Dennis